Monday, April 25, 2016

Baby Led Weaning & Other Crunchy Topics

We have been sick most of April and we are so over not feeling well!! Gideon had a fever/cough/sore throat/throw up/diarrhea etc for about 10 days.  He's mostly over it minus a terrible cough and congestion at night that flares up. 

Anyone else find that their baby's first sickness was their worst?  This thing is hanging on forever (which luckily my SIL, Anna, warned me it would so I could gird my loins over the insanity!)

I have had a cough, sore throat, sinus drainage, ear pain body aches for almost 2 full weeks and it's not looking like it's getting better.   I've tried to wipe it out naturally but sometimes you just need an antibiotic to kick something in the butt.

Oh and let's talk about Ryan...you know, the immune-compromised guy who lives with us? He has escaped with nay even a sniffle!!!!  How?!?!  I'm thankful for that, it's a pretty insane blessing.

Mama and Gideon playing with Easter basket toys from Grandma

On to granola-hippie topics...

Gideon has been rocking all sorts of natural, crunchy things in his life lately.  He's been teething and has the SHARPEST vampire-pointy-death-razors baby teeth in the world.  Let's just say we've been learning about discipline and gentleness at the tender age of 8 months old while nursing *ahem*

Anyway, I am obviously pro-Western medicine when the time is right.  Ryan is on Remicade every 8 weeks and it keeps his Crohn's in remission.  I gave Gideon baby Motrin and baby Tylenol to get down a raging fever last week.  There is a time and a place.

But on the whole I want us sticking to as natural as possible.  So it's been Hyland's teething tablets, an amber teething necklace, and chilled watermelon to help those sore gums out.  I highly recommend all three!

Also how delicious does this baby look in his bumGenius diaper??  This one is called "Armadillo" ha!  We buy cloth diapers from Cotton Babies and they don't know I exist but I LOVE the sales they have.  We bought a whole stash and Ryan found us a killer deal of colors that were being discontinued for like $12 a diaper or something insane.

I do like cloth diapering a whole lot.  When I have to buy a pack of disposable diapers I wait for a sale and try to have a coupon.  I love saving money and the eco-friendly side of cloth plus what baby doesn't look SO cute in them?

Red hair? Check!  Cloth diaper?  Check!  Teething necklace?  Check!  All of his mama's favorite baby accessories!!!

And finally, BABY LED WEANING!!  Hallelujah this is the best thing ever invented.  When I first started I was pretty scared he would choke and wasn't sure I would like it but just had to learn what to cut up, what I could be given to him in chunks to gnaw on and so on.  I did a lot of reading and research and learning from others who have done this method. 

Generally, this kid will put like a crumb or 1/16 of a teaspoon to his lips but I always see what I serve him out the other end in his diaper later so he must be eating more than I think.

Breakfast time is a favorite time around our house.  Messy but worth it.  We call the floor the "food land mine" when Gid is done eating

I try to get him fats, a fruit, and a veggie in at at every meal.  Mostly I just chop up whatever we are having or set aside components to our meal so he can chomp on that.  These are our go-to menus:

Breakfast: 
Buttered toast chunks and banana
Watermelon and oatmeal mixed with a little coconut oil
Egg yolk (scrambled or hard boiled) and quartered blueberries 
Whole milk yogurt, sliced grapes and cheerios

Lunch:
Asparagus stalks, applesauce and shredded white meat chicken
Green beans, hummus spread on pita bread, shredded cheddar, and an apple slice
Whole wheat pasta tossed with olive oil, peaches and chopped broccoli
Red bell pepper, sliced olives and chunks of pear

Dinner:
Literally whatever we are having, so special prep or extra cooking!
If we are having black bean burgers I just dice it up.  If we are having stir fry I just scoop a spoonful onto his highchair tray.  If nothing is terribly kid friendly then I'll just give him some version of a lunch menu above because it's normally prepped in the fridge anyway

He has such a blast exploring all these foods in their natural textures and colors plus no extra work for me!

So these are all of the fun "natural" things we have been trying out lately.  They work for us and make life a whole lot easier.  It's fun to share things here on the blog-comment to let me know if you have something natural you like and recommend!  I love getting more ideas.  

Have a good week :)

The heavens are Yours, the earth is Yours; The world and all it contains, You have founded them

Psalm 89:11

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...