Thursday, February 18, 2016

Gideon: 6 Month Update




Age: Who is this 1/2 year old, this 6 month old, this BIG BOY?!  Sometimes it seems like he was just born and other days it feels like I've known Gideon forever.  I told Ryan that I can't remember a time a when I didn't know his face, if that makes sense.  Like a part of me has always known this little boy and another part of me just stares at him drinking him in because I want to memorize all of him.  It's so wild!  He just fits so perfectly into our family-I can't imagine him different in any way, he is just the absolute best!

Weight: Unfortunately I don't accurately know because our scale at home is crap!  It told me he was 13 lbs last week (bahahaha!!) and that I weighed more than when I was 9 months pregnant with him!  NOT!  My best guess is 23-24 lbs but we'll weigh his chubby body him when we are at the doctor for his 6 month check up.

Length: Again, not totally sure on this one since we haven't been to the doctor but he went through an enormous growth spurt recently so I guess somewhere between 27.5-28.5 inches.

Sizes (diapers, onesies):  He's in size 4 diapers and all 12 month clothes!  After his last growth spurt I can squeeze him into some 9 month clothing but it's tight so I have packed almost all of them away.  He even has several 18 month onsies and shirts out that he is sporting no problem.  

He wears 2T-3T socks, still has a big noggin and needs toddler sized hats and beanies.  Basically this kid is huge and everyone from the bank tellers to his pediatrician comment on his nice chunk and tallness.

Eyes:  Blue-bright beautiful blue! *schwoon*

Hair: He's getting more hair back and it's so light and strawberry blonde on top.  It's darker red on the sides and in the back.  His little bald spot in the back is filling in nicely also.  His hair grows slowly but it is so wonderful and soft.

Sleeping: He sleeps from about 6:30 pm - 6:00 am with one dream feed around 10:00 pm and another at 5:00 am.  He sleeps SO well at night!  His naps have been on and off the last few weeks as he hit the 6 month growth spurt.  Some days he'll sleep two hours straight on his own and other times I'll let him nap on me.  He's only little once!  He takes 3 naps throughout the day for a total of about 2-4 hours of naps.

Eating: The most exciting thing on the eating front is that we started experimenting with solids when he was about 5.5 months!  So far he's had sweet potato, peach, apple, avocado, banana, steamed carrot, peas, scrambled egg, plain yogurt, brown rice, rice cereal, and applesauce.  I would say his favorite are the sweet potato and banana.

We are doing a mix of Baby Led Weaning and also utilizing these really Boon silicone feeders that I LOVE!  I fill them up with whatever food he's having and he just feeds himself.  I am SOOOO not the mom who is going to mess with purees, blenders, spoon feeding, and all that.  It's just too much of a hassle and I don't know any kid that doesn't want to get messy and enjoy themselves.  This month I want to introduce healthy smoothies made with breastmilk, more vegetables, and figure out a rhythm to having solids more consistently throughout the day.

He does independently hold this green sippy cup that I offer him throughout the day and will sip on some water.  It's pretty cute to watch him hold his cup with two hands like a big kid.

Milestones:  This kid is sitting up on his own!  Just a few days after he turned 5 months old, he was balancing a bit more when I was on the ground with him so I just let him go to see what would happen and lo and behold...a sitter!

Now he can't get enough of his new skill and gets quite frustrated when I lay him down if I have to run to another room for something.  His other major movements include scooting backwards, turning around in circles on his tummy, and rolling over and over across a room! He also has incredible finger dexterity, grabs toys with one or both hands, brings objects to his mouth with amazing accuracy, and reaches around objects to get what he wants. 

He also has two white pearly little teeth poking out.  It's just the very top part of the teeth (one top, one bottom) that have been there for about 2 weeks and just won't come all the way out.  It will be so cute when they are out though.  

Memorable outings:  Well he didn't exactly have an outing but something memorable is that I started work this month, right before he turned 6 months.  I left him for about 8 hours one weekday so that I could attend an orientation.  That's the longest I've been away from him and while we both did ok, I'm not a fan.  Between Grammy/Gramps babysitting for a few hours and then Daddy, everyone was able to get rice cereal and breastmilk into him along with just some plain breastmilk via a spoon.  So he was ok but I was dying to get back to my little muffin! 

Favorite toys/activities:  His favorite toys this month include this little "circuit board" as I like to call it: t's got a bell, a handle that makes noise when you move it up and down and a big button that squeaks.  He recognizes it and works this toy like he's an engineer.  It's adorable.

He also loves this helicopter teething toy his Grammy got him, a wooden owl, a stuffed ring set, and any mirrors since nothing makes him happier than looking at his own handsome self.

Gideon's favorite activities include walks outside, being thrown in the air, eating with his big boy feeder, sitting, reading, baths, anything that lets him use his hands and explore new textures, and Daddy playing the guitar for him.

Words/sounds:  Right now I can't decipher any true sounds because Gideon loves to yell and yell LOUDLY!  My mom says it sounds like a zoo when I am on the phone with her haha  He has figured out his volume can go extra loud and he uses it to the fullest extent in the car, in church, in the library, at Target...everywhere.  I'm really working him to ask him to lower his voice and be patient (not that he can understand me), but once in awhile he seems to get it and will talk more softly.

Oh and laughing is his FAVORITE noise!!  He laughs at everything.  Kisses, being tossed around, when we tickle him, looking at his reflection, anything that just catches him by surprise.

Nicknames:  Little Love, Giddy Con Queso (from daddy), Giddy Lou Who (from Aunt Linny), Giddy Puff (from Aunt Linny), Giddy Face (from Maggie), Giddy Pantz (from Maggie)
The usuals...Giddy Bear, Giddy Up, Gid, Giddy, Itty Giddy Titty Monster with the tiny hiney, G (from Uncle Clint), Mister, Man Cub

Funny moments: 


Looking forward to:  This kid walking, talking, and show us just more and more of who he is!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my little puffkin! You are getting so big and more delicious by the day! I am so proud of all of your new skills!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...