Thursday, January 21, 2016

Gideon: 5 Month Update

These two pictures sum up 5 months SO well-moving, looking, talking, just being a ray of sunshine

Age: 5 big amazing months!  So far I think we have seen the most change between months 4 and 5 in terms of what skills Gideon is showing and how he's morphing into a big kid.  He is wiggly, talkative, independent, curious, bright, has lots of preferences, is brave, patient, and so loving.

Weight: 22 big yummy pounds as of this morning!!!!  He went through an enormous growth spurt about 2 or 3 weeks ago.  He slept 19 hours straight and did that for about 3 days in a row.  I thought he was sick at first but NOPE, just growing growing.  He really isn't as "rolly" anymore because he also gained a lot of height.  His cheeks are round and he has a few leg rolls but mostly he's just sturdy more than he is actually porky.

Length: 27 inches.  He's a tall one this kid.  We put him in his bouncer everyday and may I just say this kid has pretty astonishing feet coordination.  He bounces back and forth and does this little "jig" but he is in such control of those long feet!  We have an athlete on our hands, I am so positive about that!

Sizes (diapers, onesies):  Size 3 diapers and he is in 9 month clothing but a ton of 12 month pieces also.  His large noggin also fits into a 2T beanie I bought him.  BIG KID!

Eyes:  He still has his amazing baby blues.  When he wears blue or gray they practically pop out of his head with their stunning amazingness!  I literally have to hold back all the lady babies in his life so they don't schwoon too much for him! 

Hair: Just like blue and gray make his eyes stand out, orange and red shirts really make this kid's hair pop!  I love that.  He has red hair in the back and super light strawberry blonde on top.  It's the softest stuff in all the land.

Sleeping: If Gideon were to ever get a medal as a 5 month old, it would be in the sleep department.  Hallelujah and praise the baby Jesus that this kid sleep so well!  He goes to bed between 6:00-6:30 pm, does a dream feed at 10:00 pm, and doesn't usually get me up again until 5:00 a.m. for breakfast.  After I feed him at 5:00 he goes back to sleep for 1-1.5 hours.  His morning nap starts around 8:30 a.m. and is usually 40 minutes long.  He goes down again at lunch time and this is where he SHINES!  He gives me a 2 hour stretch from 11:00-1:00 and that is just a miraculous gift everyday.  His last catnap is from about 3:30-4:00 and then he's up for the evening until he goes down at 6:00 pm.  

What a stud right?!  He has recently hit the "5 month sleep regression" I've heard and read about but it's not bad.  He is waking up at 2:00 a.m. just to say hello and nurse for a few minutes but I don't mind.  I won't be sad when he just sleeps straight through that period again but for now he needs me in the wee morning hours and I'm cool with it.

Eating: We are still exclusively breastfeeding at this point.  While I am not a big rice cereal advocate I did actually cave and buy some to mix with lots of breastmilk.  We MIGHT try that as I hopefully start work soon.  Since he despises loathes detests wants to destroy refuses his bottle we need a good way to get some calories and hydration into him.  Anyway, Giddy Lou is really interesting in the eating department lately.  While he loves to nurse and obviously eats well enough to keep growing like a flippin weed, he also fights me pretty intensely sometimes when he's hungry.  Maybe reflux?  Maybe an independent streak? 

I'm not sure.  But he'll be giving me every single cue that he's hungry and then I look at the clock and lo and behold it's been 2-3ish hours.  So I go to nurse him and he latches, breaks his latch, cries, yells, arches, screams, re-latches, repeat etc.  Yikes!!  Eventually he latches and eats like a champion but not without 5 minutes of theatrics.  He does his best eating when we are at home in his nursery and his worse nursing is um...anywhere else (*ahem*).  We are working through it.

Also, I had VIDEO PROOF PEOPLE of my kid latching and drinking from a bottle.  He chugged 3 oz in 5 minutes the other day.  And now?  He refuses the bottle yet again with a newfound fury and vengeance.  I think he would flip off the bottle if he could; he hates it so much.  We keep exposing him to it everyday and offering pacifiers in-between feeds to just help him get used to the plastic nipple but nope.  No go the last few days.  BAH!

Milestones:  Rolling, rolling, and then rolling some more! He likes to go front to back to front to back.  He loves to grab things within his reach and I am saying it now: He is a leftie like his Daddy.  He always grabs with his left hand and only will use his right if the left one is occupied. 

 Pretty cute :)

Gideon knows his name,  grabs and holds toys, likes to sit up supported, somehow moves himself all around the floor on his tummy (not a crawl though), has a tremendous amount of arm strength, watches his hands move in front of his face, likes to stand as much as possible, and "talks" so everyone knows he's there.  

Memorable outings:  We drove up to Eaton to meet new baby Chloe and our friend Amanda on Monday.  We carpooled with Ashley and her 2.5 month old, Penny.  It was baby heaven!  We went to Casa Bonita a few weeks ago with our friends The Clarks and had so much fun there!  The lights and sounds kept Gideon happy and occupied way past his bedtime.  

For now, we really aren't venturing out much past going to grandparent's houses, the library, errands, and playdates with friends.  What small outings we do have are plenty of excitement though!

Favorite toys/activities:  Gideon seems to really prefer this stuffed duck that someone gave him, his Sophie giraffe, his teething necklace and a set of plastic keys I attached to his carseat.  He would bounce all day in his bouncer if I let him.  He plays with wooden toys at dinner time while Daddy and Mommy eat and will happily watch and eat his own hands too.  

He seems to continue enjoying going to the rock climbing gym with us, mostly because he gets a lot of attention there and because he watches us both climb up so high!  He likes his stroller, reading, rolling, and any type of music.  We sing everyday while we do chores or are just in his room hanging out.  Daddy and Giddy have been known to play the guitar for 30 minutes straight and make up silly songs.  He perks up when the radio is on and enjoys Pandora on when he takes a bath.  Music makes him a smiley boy.

Words/sounds:  He has so many sounds..."coo", "goo", "da", "ah", "ooooooo" etc.  What do they mean?  Nobody knows!  But he's really finding his voice and learning that his volume can go quite loud.  

Nicknames:  The only new one I can think of is Little Love.  I call him this because I call Ryan "Love" so Gideon is my littler love ;)
Giddy Con Queso (from daddy), Giddy Lou Who (from Aunt Linny), Giddy Puff (from Aunt Linny), Giddy Face (from Maggie), Giddy Pantz (from Maggie)
The usuals...Giddy Bear, Giddy Up, Gid, Giddy, Itty Giddy Titty Monster with the tiny hiney, G (from Uncle Clint), Mister, Man Cub

Funny moments:  Yesterday we were with Grandma Decker and she was showing us some funny pictures on her phone.  One came up of cousin Xander eating ice cream with a big grin on his face.  I turned the phone to show Gideon and he just burst into a fit of giggles!!  It was so sweet. 

Looking forward to:  We are looking foward to introducing Gid to solids next month at his 6 month birthday.  I think he will have a lot of fun with food as he is very tactile and observant of us during meal times.  I am looking foward to him scooting and crawling, hearing more of his voice, watching him discover his own abilities, and seeing him grow bigger and healthier each week.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I love my giddy puff so very much! I am pretty sure bottles are the bane of his existence! But he (and you!!!) is so brave to keep trying it day after day. I am sure all of your tireless hardwork will payoff somehow someway. You are an all-star mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it will pay off in me needing therapy and Gid reigning victorious over the evil bottle!! I should write a book about his super will powers

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...