Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Gideon: 1 Bottle: 0

That title should read a bit more like Gideon: 4328 Bottle: 0

I thought I had cracked his code the other day by distracting him with cartoons on my phone (and proud of it!!) but apparently that was a one time deal only and the deal expired according to Gideon.

We're really pushing the bottle issue hard because I want to work a few hours each week soon and I have two opportunities that are too good to pass up.  The time has come kid... 

*dun dun dun*

Dang, he sure is cute so I guess I can't be too sad at his bottle-hating choices!

It's been a real rough go with the bottle for this little guy.  Two things that I want to remember to do differently with future babies:

#1 Start a bottle and pacifier at 2-3 weeks (nipple confusion be damned--my kid has REVERSE nipple confusion!!)
(we did first offer a bottle at 9 weeks with no success and then after several weeks of pain and suffering offering, we sort of just didn't mess with it.  Big mistake!)

#2 Be persistent and offer a bottle once a day every.single. day. no matter how dead tired I am with a newborn

Literally this battle is insane!!  We have tried Tommee Tippee bottles, Tommee Tippee early learner sippy cup (has at least taken a few ounces from this one) Medela, Nuk, Nuby, Gerber, and Dr. Brown's.  We've tried every flow that each has to offer. Not to mention we have offered 3 different kinds of pacifiers to no avail. We have tried a medicine dropper, plastic plunger/syringe, having him drink from a cup, and drinking from a spoon.

WHAT ELSE CAN BE DONE?!?!

Various family members have offered a bottle or sippy cup, different times of day, when he's hungry, when he's not hungry, when I'm in the room, when I'm not in the room, in a carseat, swaddled, in the normal breastfeeding position, in his rocker, dark room, light room, watching cartoons, noise maker on, facing away from the bottle giver, facing towards them, etc etc etc

This is my first really big "mom challenge".  It's the first thing that hasn't resolved itself fairly quickly and we can't find a good solution to.  I have to say that while I'm totally frazzled on the inside I think Gideon would be hard pressed to sense or see my strain.  I try to kiss his fat little head and tell him he's doing a good job even when he's screaming his head off as I burp him for the 10th time.  I don't believe in forcing a bottle or jamming it into his chubby mouth, but dang it I am persistent!   

If at the end of the day, I can say I was gentle, kind, and cherishing of him--well, then I did my job as a mom. Whether he took it or not. 

I know I'll look back on this post in a year or two or in a baby or two and laugh.  But right now it is SO not funny and the bottle battle is real.  I want to say that we will crack the code and while I believe God's grace is sufficient for literally every single circumstance, this kid is giving us a run for our money.

Pray for us. And fast. And probably throw some ashes on your head or something because this crap is tough.

Look at that innocent face, you would never know that under all that chub lies the strong-willed heart of a battle trained warrior!!

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

2 Corinthians 12:9

4 comments:

  1. He's so cute! We had this same battle with Asher (our second). I don't really have anything helpful to offer because he never ended up taking one until closer to 9 months when I had to be out of town (and I've never stressed so crazy in my life, although he was eating solids at least by then...). I'm commenting to say I understand, and I also secretly loved his mama-only preference, and I'll pray, and I love your blog and keeping up with you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara thank you so much for the appreciation of this issue! I told Ryan I have done some hard things in my life but this is among the hardest and I'm SO stressed about this bottle. Ugh! He was being a rockstar at it for 3 days (ex: drank 3 oz in 5 minutes) and then suddenly he was like "HELLS NO!". Major regression issues these last few days. He hasn't taken one in days despite lots of gentle persistence. Thanks for understanding. You are a gem.

      Love reading your blog. I'm going to go catch up on it now as I nurse Giddy to sleep :)

      Delete
  2. I know you're up for this challenge, Gideon! Go go go!!


    You're awesome by the way, Carly. I really do look up to you!

    Hi, Ryan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silvia you are the nicest! Thanks lady. I'll share with Gideon your belief in him!

      P.S. Ryan says hello back!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...