Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Some October Life

October has been full, sometimes challenging, and full of abundant joy at our house! 

#1.  We got a new nephew!  

My sister and brother-on-law welcomed their first son, baby Jay, on October 17 just one day after her due date (thank goodness!).  This perfect little man weighed 7 lbs 1 oz.  He is the absolute CUTEST thing.  My favorite parts of him are his abundance of dark, soft hair and his husky little newborn voice.  He is the best!
 
Yes, he smells as good as he looks.  I just gobble him up when I see him!!

#2.  Sleep challenges

I like to think stepping into mamahood has been very natural and joyful for me.  I truly love it!  But my biggest challenge as a new mama in the past few weeks is sleep.  Our son is LEGIT and pretty much perfect in every way (says his mama ;) ) BUT sleep is something he is still working to get better at.  He went through a pretty long growth spurt in the last 2 weeks and therefore the naps were far and few between for him, unless he was in our arms or in his moby wrap, and he was up every 1.5-2 hours all through the nights.

I felt like I had a newborn again.  

I was SO exhausted at one point I told Ryan my head felt like it was swimming and it was hard to even focus my eyes.  It was sleep deprivation to the extreme.  I was just stressed and tired from the poor sleep habits of my baby boy.  And that felt hard.  I'm thankful that he's progressed a lot the last few nights to a long 4 hour stretch at night and then he usually does 2-3 hour chunks for the rest of the night.  But man, am I a hot mess without plenty of sleep.

We are learning how to manage my stress when sleep is hard to come by and how Ryan can support me in the evenings so I'm able to be present the next day.  Many times my husband will send me in for a bath with a glass of wine and a book and that makes a lot of things much better :)  My man is the best.

Charmer.

#3. Cousins!

Gideon has a lot of Decker cousins (7 to be exact) and now 1 Thunell cousin!  In this picture Gideon is ~13.5 lbs and my sweet little Jay is ~7 lbs.  Ack my heart!!!  They are so yummy. 

I love seeing Gid with all his cousins, that is such a special relationship and I know he will grow up well loved by them all.

My son looks like a miniature Grandpa...high sweatpants and a balding head.

#4. Breastfeeding

 As aspect of mamahood that has come VERY easy has been breastfeeding.  And I think it's the most amazing, miraculous, special thing in the whole world.  Breastfeeding for President!

How is it even possible that I grew this chubbo in my uterus and THEN can sustain his life and grow his little self with my body?!  It's just too cool.  Anytime someone comments on how chubby/porky/fat/rolly/huge my son is, it makes my heart swell with pride.  I take it as the highest compliment because my body is so freakin cool to make milk and grow my boy!

My name is Gideon and I am a milkie monster.

#5 Fall!!

Ahhh I love this time of year so much.  Gideon and the doodles and I went on a walk just yesterday morning and it was the most perfect fall weather.  Overcast, just cool enough for a light jacket, and plenty of crunchy leaves to step in.  I wrapped up my plump little muffin in his moby wrap and we headed out.

It's so sweet to indulge in my favorite season with a Gideon.  Between walks, sipping decaf coffee while we nurse and read, going to a pumpkin patch, dressing up for Halloween, or making a big pot of chili...it's all even more wonderful this year with Gideon here. I do have my fall decorations up but need to get a picture and post them!


So life is good here!  We are learning and being humbled everyday.  I'm thankful for a supportive husband, a sweet, healthy son, and that life is just GOOD.

What shall I return to the Lord for all his goodness to me?

Psalm 116:12

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...