Saturday, July 25, 2015

PASSED THE NCLEX & Life Update

I don't think I could ever capture just how relieved, thankful, and excited I am to have passed the NCLEX!!!  

That beastly test is no joke.  I studied hours and hours for it, making it my "full time job" for weeks to assure I passed.  You can take it again if you fail, but with a baby on the way (plus all the hard work I put in) once would be enough.  I took my test Tuesday morning and to be honest the testing experience was must harder than I thought it would be.

The NCLEX is a computer adapted test so it "reads" you as you test.  If you get a question right, you get subsequently more difficult questions.  If you get one wrong, you get easier (which is bad overall).  You want the hard questions to prove you are above a competency line the test makers set, but it's hard to really tell between higher level questions and if you're just an unprepared idiot.  

I finished my test in about 1.5 hours from check in to check out with 1 potty break.  I did get the minimum number of questions required, 75, which was an absolute gift in and of itself!  I left that testing center though just sick and so worried.  I was CONVINCED I failed.

I called Ryan right away and he talked me down and then called my friend Nylah who also reassured me.  Then I called and texted lots of other friends and family but I just couldn't get over my anxiety and feeling like I just bombed it (P.S. most people walk out of the NCLEX feeling like that so I'm not a totally crazy loon).

Results wouldn't be posted until Thursday morning at 10:30 a.m. and let me just tell you that day wait...was ugly.  I wasn't a mean stressed out person, but I was so on edge and absolutely unraveled.  Ryan said that he had seen me deal with his surgeries, sickness, hospitalizations, the stress of nursing school, and more but never ONCE had me seen me like this.  HA!

Wednesday was a lot of laying in bed just being exhausted from studying and wiped from the stress hormones.  The doodles kept me company during my frequent naps.

They look like baby bunnies

All that to say, Ryan and I each checked the website where results are posted probably 50 times between the two of us all morning waiting.  Finally, it posted and I was able to see that I PASSED!

I talked to every friend and family member expcept Ryan over the next hour.  He was stuck in a big meeting but I did call him first so it's the thought that counts.  Phew!  Just had to word dump that whole story because I am so proud of my accomplishment, so beyond thrilled, and I survived the NCLEX stress.

It is official...Carly Decker BSN, RN.  What's up!?!?

The Lord made my brain so capable, I had TONS of prayers being prayed, and such a strong support network behind me.  The gratitude I have been feeling is overwhelming.  Nylah and I would text back and forth, "God brought us this far in nursing, He will bring us through this."  Amen!

To finally see this on my screen was such a relief

In other news...

We did hike last weekend to take a morning off from studying.  That was such a good idea.  I would encourage any nursing student reading this to make sure you have good study breaks when prepping for the NCLEX.  I did 4-7 hours per day/5 days a week and never longer than 50 minute increments at a time.  And you will need breaks.

Anyway, we have gorgeous trails here in Golden and can be on a nice hike after a 10 minute car ride.  We did about 2 miles and the doodles were thrilled with the new smells and sites.

A gorgeous trail

Two very obedient doodles who were overall fairly well behaved given the excitement of a new area

Also, we used our fire pit the other night and had a blast sitting outside late into the night.  We had s'mores and milk, talked life, and stayed up late.  The doodles chased bugs and were curious about the fire, it was a perfect night.

Also, always make your s'mores with Reese's instead of plain chocolate.  You can thank us later.


Now that I am finished studying and officially an RN...I can relax!  We have anywhere from 5-7 weeks before Baby Decker arrives which feels amazing.  Just the other day we were talking about how perfect God's timing has been with pregnancy in relation to graduation and test taking.

It couldn't have been better orchestrated.  I'll fill my days now with baby prep, people, being healthy for baby, and running our home.

Ryan is busy with a million exciting things at work, a concrete project to prevent drainage problem, weekly frisbee team, and taking care of his pregnant wife.

Our season of life is full and we are so thankful!

My son, if your heart is wise, then my heart will be glad indeed; my inmost being will rejoice when your lips speak what is right

Proverbs 23:15-16

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on passing the NCLEX!!! ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I'm so so happy to be done. I know your journey is getting started and it is just so worth it!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! Very proud and inspired by you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Silvia! We are so thrilled. Thank you for your kind words

      Delete
  3. Ya Carly! Woot woot! I knew you would! Prayer works...especially coupled with all the studying you did! So happy for you and what a relief before baby decker arrives! Soooo happy... You go girl!!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you were praying Vee...thank you!!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...