Sunday, May 3, 2015

A Few May Things

Our May is just getting going but it's already off to a good start!

I have been cranking out my final nursing clinical every week and loving it!  I do two 12 hour shifts per week and it's nice to just get the time done when I'm there.  I have to complete 150 hours so that about 13 shifts.  I'm halfway done and though I love it, can't wait to be done with school too!

June 19 (graduation) cannot come soon enough!

My responsibilities at my clinical include admitting patients, taking their health history, starting their IV (my favorite!), getting vital signs, and prepping them for surgery.  Afterwards, if I'm place in the PACU, I receive report from the OR nurse, monitor them for an hour doing different checks and vital signs, administer meds with my preceptor and eventually get them out the door.

It's low key enough that I'm no totally exhausted all day but just enough to keep me on my toes!

Here are a few other little things we've been up to:

This sweet girl came down with Ryan's parents for a little visit.  After brunch she ASKED to do the dishes.  She always wants to do the dishes so I wasn't surprised but she loves being a helper and is so good at cleaning :)


Ryan had a minor surgery this last week.  

The doctor's wanted to do some "maintenance" on his large intestine to keep that organ working should we ever consider an ileostomy reversal.  When they put up his ilesotomy, they left his large intestines so in a sense it is "temporary".  

We really would like to avoid major surgery at all costs and did this for routine purposes and to stage his Crohn's.

They also did a few skin biopsies because Ryan has been unbearably itchy for a long time around his peri-stomal skin.  So we will get those results in a few weeks but expect nothing to come from it.  The procedure was an hour and he rocked it like a champion.

I think his little face here looks so pitiful but he really recovered very fast and did so well!


This morning we enjoyed a long breakfast on our porch.  We just pulled out all our patio furniture and I bought a bunch of flowers to spruce up the front porch and back deck, so it was so fresh and pretty out there.

So we ate french toast and fruit while the sun came up, the doodles wrestled and our little chickens pecked around in their coop.  

Such a perfect morning :)




This week I have more clinicals of course, a midwife appointment, Ryan plays frisbee,  we have some very fun Mother's Day plans next weekend, and just life happenings!  We hope you have a sweet week too.

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
Romans 12:12

3 comments:

  1. Carly, would you mind messaging me what his doc did? His situation is almost identical to my fiancés except Antonio has been doing chemo instead of remicade. :/ His colorectal surgeon had mentioned a reversal chance but never mentioned doing any "maintenance" prior to that if it ever happened. He wanted him to focus on chemo first. So happy that everything is going so well for you both!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...