Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Baby Chicks & Learning Spanish

We have had quite a busy week!

Like I mentioned last post, we got our baby chicks on Friday night.  They are so unbearably adorable.  Very fat and fuzzy.  Unfortunately we had two die and of course I cried over both even though I only knew them for 24 hours.  The store we got them from (an incredible local business in Golden) actually replaced them and assured us that it happens and wasn't our fault.

That made me feel better because I spend the majority of Sunday night nursing the littlest yellow one we appropriately named Trouble, with sugar water and wet food.  Little girl didn't make it which broke my heart but we sure tried.

The happy news is that we had learned so much from the experience.  We received two more chicks plus a third (7 total chicks now). 

Chicks are usually sold in pairs with their breed and when Ryan went to get the new ones there was a lone Buff Orpington that in his words, "His heart couldn't stand to leave her by herself". 

**SWOON over my sensitive man!**  She is doing fine and is the squirt of the group.

Our other two replacement chicks are Ameraucana (my dream chicken!), nick named "Easter Eggers".  They lay gorgeous shades of colorful eggs.  Ours will lay green and I am peeing my pants to see their first gorgeous eggs. Below is what they will look like!

 via

Enough chicken talk!



Ryan's recent trip to Mexico has inspired us to learn and become confident in Spanish.  Now that I'm writing it here it has to happen!

Ryan speaks excellently in my opinion.  He's conversational with native speakers and converses with other HWI employees through Spanish e-mails.  How cool!

We figure between my nursing career (hello Denver, where 50% of the population is Hispanic!) and his career working primarily in Latin America that this is a smart long-term move.  Plus we want our kiddos to be bilingual and have a broad linguistic experience.  We woke up Saturday morning to big cups of coffee and Rosetta Stone lessons.  I loved it!


It's been an eventful week with some ups and downs, but excellent overall!

Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments.

Deuteronomy 7:9

4 comments:

  1. That's great that you both want to learn more! I'm the coconut of my family...brown on the outside and white on the inside. Hahaha! I really should practice my Spanish more living here in California! I didn't realize there was a large Hispanic community where you are. Is there a Costco nearby y'all? Maybe I should transfer! :) good luck with your Spanish lessons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that is so awesome Silvia! In fact, there are several Costcos around us :) Come visit!

      Delete
  2. I started taking Spanish classes in conjunction with my nursing classes for the sole fact that the area I'm in (near Chicago) has a lot of Spanish speaking residents. I'm LOVING it!!! I can't wait to see some pretty eggs pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spanish in the nursing field is SO important!! It makes sense in almost any US city, in my opinion. Hope you're enjoying your classes--so awesome!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...