Friday, February 27, 2015

Healthy Pregnancy Snack Ideas

Let's just put it out there...my first 13 weeks were fairly miserable.  I had good days so I can't complain too much but the nausea just knocked me off my feet for days at a time! 
 
That made it impossible to eat, which made me feel worse, and the cycle was so vicious.
 
I have a few theories (#2 in that link) about why my nausea was so intense.  But despite those first hard months,  I am enthusiastically focusing on eating healthfully and holistically once every 1-2 hours to keep my blood sugar levels stable and get in enough calories and nutrients
 
Here are my favorite daily snacks...
 
Avocado, pretzels, and carrot sticks
 
The pretzel is extra yummy dipped in the avocado and the carrots add a crunch/slightly sweet element to the snack
 
 
Familia Swiss-Muesli with greek yogurt and berries
 
We actually found this muesli when we lived in Saudi Arabia and LOVED it then.  It's full of hearty whole grain oats, dried apples, shredded whole wheat and rye, raisins, ground hazelnuts and roasted almonds
 
 
Larabars
 
If you've ever tried these you know they have about 5 simple ingredients.  So yummy and full of lots of delicious vitamins and nutrients
 
 
Nuts
 
I'll make a trail mix of sorts with almonds, cashews, walnuts and even pretzels or pumpkin seeds if I have them on hand.  This is wonderful for getting in essential fatty acids.
 
 
Fruit/Veggie Smoothies
 
This is how I survived those first few weeks!  The pictured smoothie is greek yogurt, kefir, strawberries, banana, clementines, and orange juice.  Normally I throw in an enormous handful of spinach, chia seeds, and coconut oil too.
 
 
 Greek Yogurt
 
The sugar content might be a little higher than I like, but I love Chobani yogurts.  I couldn't stomach just eating a big cup of plain yogurt so I needed some extra fluff in there.  The strawberry/banana, raspberry, and peach are divine with fruit or nuts mixed in
 
 
I hope these help you or give you a few, but diverse, menu ideas to select from if you are having trouble.  Healthy eating is delicious and fun...as long as you feel up to actually eating ;)
 
I've got a healthy salmon salad and leftover smoothie in the fridge waiting for me for lunch!  Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...