Friday, May 16, 2014

May 2014 Events

In the last two weeks Ryan has been on 14 flights, stayed in 6 hotels, and has been on the go go go.  He has been in New York, North Carolina, Arkansas, Florida, Haiti, and back to Colorado.

This has been a typical night for us since the beginning of May...Skype, laugh, say goodnight!

He comes home TODAY!!

It's our tradition that I make him lemon pound cake and chicken pot pie when he gets home from long trips.  And I think he especially deserves it this time!

While Ryan has been on work trips, filming his Great Comebacks story, and working his butt off in another country, Grumps and I have been keeping ourselves busy too :)

Thursday marked my final day of Med/Surg I clinical.  Dang!!  I cannot believe it's over and how much experience I gained in this rotation.  From TB shots to wound care, patient communication and injections, to G-tube care and physical assessments...it was an awesomely wild ride.  


Nursing is truly such a tangible, beautiful way to extend love and service to someone else.  I actually encountered a person not too long ago that had the option of an ostomy before them but they refused for a variety of issues including embarrassment and denial.  

Oh my. 

 From that interaction I was SO assured that I want to be a WOCN and obliterate the stigmas against such an amazing, life saving, beautiful surgery.  

People need some major lovin' and hope in the dark moments of life when their body image, confidence, relationships, future and everything else seems to be on the line...whether from a disfiguring wound or the reality of an ostomy, this is SO the ministry Jesus is calling me to in the health care world.

What an honor!

On that note, Ryan and I are on absolute FIRE to get a mentoring chapter through Great Comebacks opened up in Denver before the end of 2014.   It would be a resource of support and hope to people who are facing the new world of an ostomy.  We are pumped and thankful to step deeper into this new community when God says "go".

Come July I'll start my Med/Surg II and Mental Health clinicals which should be really eye opening and even more intense.  Hoping for some IV starts!

Grumps has mostly been busy keeping up on our nightly 3.5 mile walks (have we ever mentioned we love summer?!), scaring the chickens, and eating.  He is such a dope and we love him.


Ryan asked me the other day (via e-mail of course since he was 2,412 miles away):

 What are you most excited for in the remainder of 2014?

Welll....our friend Matt and Katie's wedding, continuing on in Nursing School, our 4 year anniversary in June, our trip to Nashville for the National Great Comebacks event, Linny and Justin visiting for the 4th of July, the fall (I love me some fall!), and seeing God continue to show up in relationships and moving in extravagant ways!


While we might hate to admit that our life in going 100 mph, there isn't really a way around it. Through it, we are learning to abide, prioritize, and obey.  Thankful for the opportunities we've been given; the ministries and journeys before us are astounding and beyond our wildest dreams.


I myself will be the shepherd of my sheep, and I myself will make them lie down, declares the Lord God.  I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the weak...

Ezekiel 34:15-16

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...