Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Great Comebacks Award-Utah

I've mentioned this a few times here on the blog, but Ryan was the 2014 West Region winner of the Great Comebacks Award!

This is an organization started by ex-NFL Chargers kicker, Rolf Benirschke.  Rolf had an emergency ileostomy put up back in when we was still playing pro football and then went on to establish this amazing foundation that honors the stories and recoveries of people with ostomies and IBD.

Submit your story or your loved one's story here

Rolf and Ryan at dinner Wednesday evening.  These two are so awesome.

Convatec, the medical supply company sponsoring Great Comebacks, paid for Ryan and my mom to fly out to Utah last week for the awards ceremony.  I would have gone with him but I had a clinical rotation both days he was gone and it's a $600 fee to reschedule those.

Womp womp.

Anyway, my mom and him headed out to Salt Lake and met up with my sister and brother-in-law who live in Utah too.  I was SO blessed that he was surrounded by support and love at this special event.


They put him up in a beautiful hotel and spoiled him all weekend :)

Ryan gave two speeches; one at a Wound Ostomy Continence Nurse (WOCN) conference and another at an ostomy support group.  He received his beautiful award the first night and I have an awesome video my sister took for you to enjoy...


Ryan told me over and over how grateful he is for this new platform to mentor other men in the throws of ostomy surgery or navigating their way through IBD.  He plans to use this award and recognition to spread ostomy awareness, encourage others, and be a light in this unique community.

I love his passion and excitement to bring Jesus to an often hopeless and grim sphere of influence.  So cool!  There is always purpose if we allow God to work.

So a big thank you to Convatec, Rolf, and my sweet family for backing up Ryan at this conference and reminding him what a great comeback he has truly made!!


Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

Romans 5:3-5

2 comments:

  1. Praise God! Ryan's story is biblical in it's inspiration. And you, Carly, being there throughout everything he's gone through, is a story in itself. I started reading your blog when Ryan first became ill, and following along all this time has impacted my faith in many ways. Thank you for taking time to share your story. I doubt you will ever know how many people have been encouraged from this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS is the kindest comment. Thank you! I am so honored you read here-praise Jesus for his grace and mercy over us because Ryan and I are hot messes :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...