Friday, October 4, 2013

Week 1: Owned!

Oh man oh man!

One week officially down.  You guys.  The alarm went off at 5. A.M. TODAY.

Do I look crazed and tired?  Well I look like I have no bottom teeth, but that's not much better

It was an eeeeearly morning for a very early class.  I was a little scared walking through the dark downtown streets to get to campus but I made it safe (thank you Jesus!) and everything was smooth.

Dang this week was just a whirlwind!  I cant believe it's over and I'm stunned to think of all the new information and skills I have to learn in just 9 weeks of this quarter.  

The highlights:  forming a legit study group already!  I'm blessed to study with two very rad people who also happen to be big fans of Jesus which makes my heart happy :)  Plus, with such an intense academic load, it's a major benefit to have the support and accountability of others. Also, working the lightrail like it's my business!

Finally, really starting to dive head first into all this new material is a trip!   For anyone who doesn't know, um, Nursing is HARD!  You cannot be a dummy to work in this field.  We are studying the genetics of cancer right now and it is so dang complex.  I can't wrap my mind around all the heterozygous recessive, positive phenotype business yet...but it will surely clarify someday.

Powerpoints and lectures.  I carry these with me like my first born child.

In lab (another favorite!) we get to wear real scrubs which I think is the coolest.  It's all a "mock" hospital setting and we're paired up with another student to do assessments on each other

Everything from blood pressure, to charting, to skin tests, to auscultating the heart and bowels.  I really enjoy the hands on part of this.  Real clinicals in the hospital start in the spring.  Weehooo!!

There isn't too much else to report.  Pathophysiology will kick my butt if I don't go to every tutoring session but that's pretty much the only thing I have any stress over.  Finding community within school is a step of faith but not difficult at all.  God has provided really neat friendships already.  Cool people signed up for this program!

So that's it!  This journey is real and on it's way.  I can't wait to see what else is to come.

I'll be studying this weekend and practicing skills if you need me.  Enjoy your weekend and keep praying with me for more snow!


being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Philippians 1:6

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...