Monday, October 28, 2013

Grumples and Pure Religion

What is a Grumples you might ask?  Well, he is the newest canine member of our household-coming November 30!  He is a wee little 3 week old black goldendoodle who needed us to adopt him and love him to pieces.  So we went to meet him Saturday to give a deposit and put a tiny collar on him so everyone would know he is ours.

Grumples Decker!

This is his little baby collar and we had to buy him a teddy bear so it could soak up his mama's scent.  Then he won't be so sad when we bring him home.  Heartbreaking!! 

I don't know which one is Grumples in this picture but they are sooo cute!  The owners bred a male black poodle and female golden retriever and they got a litter of 7...ALL male!  Crazy.

These grainy, poorly lit pictures below will show you our small group!  I really need to figure out how to fix the exposure and settings on my camera...on the to-do list.

 Hey everyone!

Ryan John leading the group like a stud every week.

On pure religion:  I've been doing a lot of pondering lately and right now I'm wrestling through God's promises and how they coincide with the poorest of the poor.  I'm wondering how to reconcile verses that aren't seemingly proving true to people on the other side of the world and what do I do with that?  

With total comfort that the Lord isn't offended by my questions I ask Him, "How do I reconcile first world verses with third world issues?  How are you showing up when because I must be blind."  

Our hearts are totally entangled with the orphans and widows across the globe.  Not because we're "holier than thou" but because it's just the calling God gave us.  

We are on fire to adopt and support Compassion kiddos, to foster and empower organizations with money and time.  And all the while our hearts are broken for the multitudes we can't reach and wondering what we do with that...  

Ryan said it perfectly on a walk yesterday..."I think our ministry in life could be summed up like this:  Love the poor and the sick."  AMEN husband! 

Stand by while we continue wrestling this through with God.  What do you do with Matthew 6:26 when it just doesn't seem true for millions?  How do you manifest a religion that is pure and undefiled by looking after orphans and widows?   How is God asking me to step up and step in?  

And how can I possibly turn away when a dying world is right before my eyes and my God has been explicitly clear about responsibility...

Tis very uncomfortable but the tension is so clearly where God is OK with us being.

Phew!  More thoughts to come.  But for now here are some random other pictures to get your Monday started right.  Happy start of your week, friends!




What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food.  If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

James 2:14-17

1 comment:

  1. Hey Carly
    Long time! I just wanted to stop by and say HELLO!!
    I tend to lurk and glimpse your blog every so often, but haven't had a chance to comment and really "dig in"
    Hope you are well! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...