Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Thanks For Not Killing Me Mom!

It seems the Lord has world-shattering, heart-altering things to teach me this year (life?) about justice.  And I thought it was going to be in the form of boycotting clothing and spreading the word about a few oppressed people groups around the world.  I would have called it a day.

However, that is not the case.

My eyes are wide open to injustices in my very own backyard.  Literally.  I was just walking down the street not far from our home on a store-lined neighborhood when a man approached...

I was with my mom.  She is a key player in all this.

"Do you support Planned Parenthood?", he asks with a wide grin.  (Probably assuming that living in a college town being in my early-20's, I do.)

"No.  I don't.  My mom (gesturing to my mom), chose life.  I'm glad she did and I want the same for others too."

*crickets*

P.S.  Thanks for not killing me mom!

So no,  I don't support Planned Parenthood (we'll talk about the why's later).  And declaring so today violently knocked my rose-colored glasses off my face.  Abortion and hurting mamas facing horrific decisions, and the mass genocide of a silent generation...is a deeply real and serious issue.

Honestly, I've allowed myself to live in an "ignorance is bliss" fairytale.

Yes, I am passionate about justice.  I'm passionate about eradicating modern day slavery and Micah 6:8.  Yes I am passionate about life, and God's heart for that radical topic, and that we stop the deception and hurt and eternal impact of abortion .

But here's what I'm NOT passionate about: judging the mamas who've made haunting decisions.  Relying on unsubstantial "Because God says so" reasoning.  Name calling, ignorance, trashing people who have different views than mine or anything else ugly like that.

But I have a voice and I won't be ashamed to use it for this injustice put directly in my path today.

And I can't wait to see why He planned for that PP dude to intersect my life...

What is my crazy God up to?

Learn to do right; seek justice.
    Defend the oppressed.
Take up the cause of the fatherless;
    plead the case of the widow.
Isaiah 1:17 


8 comments:

  1. Good post Carly! Stange someone would just come up to you and ask that?LOL It's very sad, and I hate how they want to make it sound better than it is by calling it "planned parenthood". Nope its more like abortion, or "unplanned parenthood". I know its not a easy situation for people who have to make that choice, but if you can't do the time don't do the crime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Vee. There are certainly consequences of sexual behavior...like a potential or REAL baby. And it is an enormous thing to face.

      I've volunteered at a place called Alternatives and they offer the most compassionate and gracious response to new moms who find themselves in terrifying and unwanted pregnancies. No judgement, just love; resources, and help. If they choose abortion Alternative's door's are wide open to them afterwards, if they choose adoption that is incredible! And if they choose parenthood they stand alongside them.

      I want to go beyond the "don't do the crime if you can't do the time" mentality because that isn't a solution for women in these circumstances. I wish it was that easy, but they need more from us and from others. And I want to figure out how to do it with justice, God's heart, and endless, radical love in mind.

      Delete
  2. Yes! Yes! Yes! Abortion is murder, but oh those who deceive others into thinking they are making an informed "choice" There is a price to pay when life is cheapened.
    I was adopted and am soooo thankful my birth mother chose life, that my adoptive parents chose life. No child is unwanted...some just need another family.
    Keep up the God work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SOOO excited to hear about your story of LIFE and adoption Lori. How neat!! I have learned adoption is not an easy decision for birth mothers, but it is a beautiful and sacrificial choice.

      It is interesting you bring up choice. We are all allowed (and value) our "choices" don't we? I love that. I think what the pro-life community often misses is what to do when mom makes a CHOICE that isn't lined up with their beliefs. She is no less worthy and valuable to God. The terrified and contemplating pregnant women need to be remembered in the pro-life community and although I commend our focus on the the unborn, a mama has to feel loved and supported to ever make the same choice for her child.

      Delete
  3. Love this! We all need to stand for injustice BUT live out grace and mercy. By doing so we'll be a much better picture of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favorite posts on your blog. Thank you for the eye opener on "planned parenthood". And "YOUR WELCOME" -- you are a true blessing.

    Love -- Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my favorite comment! I wonder if all the voiceless babies who are aborted every year would thank their moms if given a shot at life? I know they would.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...