Thursday, February 7, 2013

Homemade Taco Seasoning

When I can keep our grocery budget low and make the expensive extras myself, I surely will!  Lately on the homemade list has been: bread, vanilla extract, hummus, salad dressing and taco seasoning!

Let me share with you how I made it and then how you can put it to good use!!  


Homemade Taco Seasoning

Ingredients:
2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano (didn't have it for this pic)
1 tsp paprika
2 tbsp cumin
1 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper

Directions:
Mix in a jar or baggie and use whenever your heart tells you!

P.S.  Many mainstream taco seasoning brands include things like partially hydrogenated soybean oil, silicon dioxide, and ethoxyquin (that last one is a yucky food preservative AND pesticide.  ugh!!).   When you make it yourself you avoid those unneeded extras and skip poisoning your family.

So now that you know how to whip that up, here is the easiest dinner ever I adapted from Pinterest.  

Shredded CrockPot Salsa Chicken 


Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts
2 tbsp homemade taco seasoning
1/2 jar of salsa


Directions:
Place chicken breasts into the ole crock.  Sprinkle 1 tbsp of taco seasoning on each (totaling 2 tbsp-- aren't you glad you have me for advanced math problems?).  Pour 1/2 jar of salsa on top of the chicken and cook on low for 6 hours.  Then shred the chicken with all that season-y, salsa-y goodness and it's ready!

  The original  recipe was implied for tacos but I was either too tired or too adventurous to go to the store...so we went the gluten free route.  We put the shredded chicken on rice and black beans, topped with sliced avocado, shredded cheese, and a dallop of plain greek yogurt. 

Yum!

3 comments:

  1. yum yum Carly! Looks real good! I guess I kind of do this, but never bottle the mixture! Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to make your own isn't it?! Cheaper and healthier. I just like to make a larger batch so it's quicker to grab each time.

      I love the off-topic topic! I have tried side bangs and you are so sweet to encourage me! I had them for several years actually but for some reason just don't anymore. I think they were more work if I remember right, but maybe I should give them another shot?? I am due for a trim...

      You are the best Vee!

      Delete
  2. completly off topic, have you ever tried side bangs? I think you would look really nice with side bangs! P.S.-i already think you are super gorgeous with out them! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...