Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Literal Faith

For Lent I'm not giving up the last habit I think I have control over or cutting chocolate out of my life.  I am making a humble attempt for more room for the One who deserves all, because I have failed to say no to the world.


Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.
 
Hebrews 13:16 
 
 
It's an epic challenge that's shaking up my little world but I am being stretched and pulled in several new directions.  It's good for me.  Please join if you're brave enough to try.

It won't hurt to at least give is a whirl, will it? 

These 40 days preceding Easter are such a dynamic of tension and anticipation.  I feel the draw of my flesh to give up but the pull of something deeper to press on for the fruit and meaning of this time.

Lent is for all intents and purposes, a time of preparation.  Preparation of hearts and life for the coming of Easter.  Ultimately a preparation for when we stand before God in Glory.

And this 40 Bags in 40 Days has my mind churning...that I want to be prepared with a deeply-true, marrow-deep, heart-sincere faith.   


Should I fear that I might be able to only offer up to the Creator of the Universe a figurative faith?

"Oh you meant that in the Bible?  Like really give away things?  Release the world and seek Your Face?  Really make you the center of our lives?  Hmmm...well I thought it was just a nice story.  I didn't think you would actually ever ask ME to do that stuff!"

I want to be drawn away from the figurative and making the words of scripture just a nice story or a far-away goal.

These words are fresh on my mind in the next few weeks of Lent.  Don't skip over it.

In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”

Acts 20:35

That's a doozy isn't it!  But wait, it gets even better!

Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed. 

Proverbs 19:17

Isn't that great?  I'm not sure what God thinks of my 40 Bags in 40 Days challenge.  But I sure won't be ashamed to tell him about it when I meet Him someday--I hope it's a real semblance of these verses above and a literal reflection of His own character.


Each bag a small offering of preparation for this Easter holiday and a bigger print on the fabric of time to live out a most blessed life habit of faith and generosity.

Let's open our hands in these 40 days but more importantly, open up our hearts to a radical God who defies every single notion we've ever held as sensible.


3 comments:

  1. challenging as always...love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth glad you read it :)

      Delete
    2. That was Carly just signed in as Ryan oops!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...