Wednesday, February 13, 2013

1st Day of Lent: 40 Bags in 40 Days

  Clutter.

It's headed out for Lent.

Clutter in our house, clutter in my life, clutter in my heart.

What is Lent?

Ann Voskamp puts it beautifully, 

"Lent. It’s the preparing the heart for Easter.  Like going with Jesus into the wilderness for forty days, that we might come face to ugly face with our enemy.  Our sacrificing that we might become more like Christ in His sacrifice.

 Lent isn't about forfeiting as much as it's about formation.  We renounce to be reborn; we let go to become ‘little Christs’. It’s about this: We break away to become.” Still silence. I have one last swing. 

Don’t think of lent as about working your way to salvation. Think of it as working out your salvation.”

What a beautiful preparation for Easter-the most important day of the year

In the spirit of "less" this year, I'll be giving away a 40 bags of things in the next 40 days.  To put less hope in things and more hope in Him.  These days will be about breaking away from the hindrance and clutter in my life that blinds me from what should really capture my heart.

Lent 2013 will be a process of purging excess and creating space in my heart and life for Jesus.  It goes perfectly with what I happen to already be learning and it's a terrifying thrill to learn to give until it hurts.

Yes!  

This is the list of the physical places that will be getting purged over the next few weeks...

Would you join me in this crazy purging of things and making of heart-room?

What is happening in your life for Lent?  Have you ever recognized this season before or participated in it? 

 I would love to hear--40 Bags in 40 Days, we'll see what the Lord is up to!

He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.

John 1:10

6 comments:

  1. Carly--
    I'm in. I was thinking about what I could do for Lent...and this is a perfect way to do it. I'll have to catch up from yesterday:) I'll try and post to my blog to stay updated!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Sarah! I can't wait to see how this goes for both of us :) It is such a neat thing to do I think. Glad to have you joining me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to join you in this crazy purging of things. I had a hard time coming up with my list so borrowed a few ideas from you. This is a great idea to honor the season of Lent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great list!! You thought of more places than I did! Excited for you to do it mom

      Delete
  4. Loved the plan here! How's it going so far? Are you giving them to individuals or just a general charity? I wrote about making room today, too. Blessings,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie I am just giving our items away to general charities. Though I like the individual idea! How about you--hows it going with making room?

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...