Friday, January 4, 2013

How Many Slaves Work For You?

It turns out I have no less than 50 slaves working for me.  Working to maintain my lifestyle and wants, to cater to my consumerism and selfishness; losing their own life to make mine comfortable.

via

Today there are over 27 million people being held against their will to labor for industries and products that we enjoy daily.  More people are enslaved now than at any other time in history!

Are you wondering how I know that  50 human slaves work for me?  I took this survey at:

Slaveryfootprint.org

You will get your life rocked.  Just go.  I'll wait...

Did you do it?

Honestly my eyes just about popped out of my head when I saw that number.  My stomach dropped to my butt and I felt instantly paralyzed and numb.   That statistic really spurred heavy thinking about my life choices and values.  I thought about the Pakistani kids that might have sewn my jeans, the slaves in cotton fields picking crops to make my blouses, miners who work 20 hour days for the metals that go into my phone and computer...

My brain is all a blur at the moment.  I have a million lists going of socially minded companies to support, Congressmen names jotted down to contact, my Bible is opened up looking for God's heart about this issue of injustice.

But most of all, I look around the home and life I've created I feel shock.

Shock that I was so oblivious, and shock that more than likely a slave touched the majority of the items in my house.  

More thoughts to come on this.  Will you take the slavery footprint survey and come back with your thoughts?

...and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?
Micah 6:8

2 comments:

  1. Ooph, 61 for me. :( I think the jewelry bumped me up, but a lot of it was inherited from my Grandma when she passed away. Even my engagement ring came from the ring my Dad had given my Mom, which was from his Mother, who had it from her daughter because she'd gotten divorced and their Mom never had one. Definitely a shock to see that number though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber, it definitely is! It is cool that your jewelry is "second-hand" so to speak which helps with out footprint. What I really got out of that survey was that I need to be really aware of WHO is working for me, what are the conditions like, and what I can to end 21st century slavery. Little changes add up! So glad you took the test!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...