Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Scavenger

Read about my 2013 goal here.

So far so good with the resolution; not buying new clothes, reusing and reappreciating what's already in my overstuffed wardrobe.  A big ole whoop-dee-do for me.

Yes, it's only been 10 days so we'll have to see where I am in 100 days.  I think part of a positive report on this goal is because I'm barely toe deep in it.  Perhaps when the seasons are changing and new trends are arising you will see me squirm. 

But I feel uncomfortable even admitting that.  That my contentedness for now is applaudable, but I can anticipate in advance that it will soon go unquenched.

No I am not in want and yes I have excess.  But what if I didn't?  What if I wasn't in a place where I could even draw up a 2013 goal of more appreciation for my material blessings and obvious abundance?

This moment, captured on a filthy dump, tugs at my soul and tears and my conscience.

via

It is a 2012 National Geographic photo contest winner. 

These women are only allowed at the dump to scavenge for food or clothing or household items, once the establishment has closed for the day.  Some live in the dump.  Unbelievable, yes?

Imagine a life like that.  One where dinner awaited you in rotting heaps and "shopping" meant rummaging through piles of trash?  The humiliation and despair is staggering.

It's gut wrenching and painful to look at this photo.  It makes each clothing item in my closet a sort of betrayal to the justice I know in my heart.  Each shirt, each belt, each silly scarf seems like a mark against my humanitarian cause and pleas here on this blog for us to open our eyes to injustice.
 
 Open your eyes, God says to me.  Not just to what I've given you but to what pollutes your faith.  Your love of excess and ability to stifle My Voice.  Open your eyes to injustice, to suffering, to indignity and your fellow human.  Because I came that you each might have life, and have it abundant.

These words are balm and a clear point to wisdom:

If people can’t see what God is doing,
    they stumble all over themselves;
But when they attend to what he reveals,
    they are most blessed.

Proverbs 29:18
 
When the new Spring 2013 trends arrive, these women will be squatting over the waste that's come to sustain their lives.   All I will be left with my own garbage dump; a polluted heart and bulging lifestyle that threatens to consume my heart and ravenously stain my faith.

What Can You Do?

Give generously of your resources to those laboring to serve the poor and least of these
Healing Waters International, Compassion International, International Justice Mission

Get educated.
Read a legitimate paper source, put in your path articles and organization of justice, and find out your personal role by going to slaveryfootprint.org

Bend Your Knee.
Pray without ceasing... 1 Thessalonians 5:17

What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness,
    and to walk humbly with your God?


Micah 6:8

4 comments:

  1. So inspired by this post and your meaningful 2013 resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo thanks Linny! I am glad to have my eyes opened to some real issues and how I can directly have an impact. Want to join me in not buying new clothes for the year?

      Delete
    2. OH my gosh no clothes for a year...that is probably the most challenging resolution i have ever heard...
      You're amazing...you're right about there being some real issue in the world and we can make an impact!
      I have never been to really think outside the box like this. Always want to help other, but have never quite felt like me not purchasing nikes would make a difference? (although I don't buy nikes...but you get what I am saying) People like you change the world!

      Delete
    3. Vee thanks for being so encouraging as always!

      I really see this challenge as an extension of Christ and His so very compassionate love Jesus was satisfied with less, cared about injustice, and was one to seek action for God. I love that! I think with every dollar towards a home or personal purchase or with money to tithe, we can make a HUGE difference and invest in meaningful, Kingdom causes.

      The first thought for me is to use my dollar to invest in companies who are socially justice minded and fair to their employees. A relevant idea for you might be to commit some area of your church to giving/going/praying for this cause! Excited to see what the Lord will do :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...