Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Believers Who Are Poor...

Brace yourselves.  This verse will take you for a ride...

Believers who are poor have something to boast about, for God has honored them.  And those who are rich should boast that God has humbled them. They will fade away like a little flower in the field.

James 1:9-10

Does this verse rattle anyone else up?!? I can't stop thinking about that first line in particular.

Jesus-followers who are poor, low in spirit have something to rejoice about.  What the junk?!  And the Greek word for "poor" even translates to mean stricken with grief or depressed....

Side not: does anyone who believes in the prosperity gospel even read the Bible?!  Whoever thought becoming a Christian meant they would get showered with shiny Cadillacs and hundred dollar bills was seriously smoking something

SO many verses point us to what God says is worth boasting about.  And in this case, it shakes me to my core to think that I do the opposite of James 1:9-10.  I despair over lack of wealth, suffering, hardship-definitely not a boaster of that stuff.  How do I even get to being able to boast about that???  Enlighten me please if you know.

I don't know a whole heck of a lot, but I know these verses have my full attention and yet again completey tear down the misconstrued version of Jesus that I have created for myself.

I want to see Jesus for who He really was-not who I want him to be.  Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Carly, you're awesome :) I can never wrap my head around the prosperity gospel either. Those people are living on another planet, and do not know the gospel at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Stace! There are too many verses opposite of the "health and wealth" gospel. Ugh. Jesus more often than not calls us to suffering, depravity, sacrifice, and even death. Wow. Just blows my mind!

      Delete
  2. Wow....its amazing how a scripture can just jump off the page at you like that. Your absolutely right...serving God does not Garuntee you a first class ticket to life! That prosperity junk ticks me off...not even the leaders but those who follow it! I feel sorry for them as the last days approach...they will be tossed about with every wind of doctrine like the bible says! Great post Carly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Vee!! Do you know the verses about a false teach being held even MORE accountable? Someone who is teaching what is wrong will really have to answer for that. But we all have the responsibility to read the Word for ourselves. And with a verse like this one in James, I don't know how we could be confused!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...