Sunday, July 29, 2012

Thankfulness in Hospitals

Today Ryan is tired but doing OK overall.  He slept for 2 hours after a painful bowel movement that knocked him out but is feeling some energy for dinner soon.  We took a short walk with his enormous IV machine this afternoon and all the nurses cheered him on!  They are so good to him.

He ate a little breakfast this morning and some light lunch but we realize that anything that goes in has to come out. *Cringe*  So he's going easy since it's still so painful.

All his vitals are reading normally and our nutritionist said that one of his low vitamin levels (not sure which one) is up to a normal level now that he has been on his IV "food".  It's called Pro-Cal.  They also decided not to run a new PICC line on him, which was that large, multi entry IV because of the allergy.  We are OK with that and Ryan is not desperate for the calories at the moment.  He has gained 1 lb so far. Woo hoo!!  Celebrate the small wins!

Our goal for tonight is to order him some dinner, turn on a movie, and let him rest.  Has has a big day tomorrow so he will need the energy.  And while Ryan napped I realized how grateful I am for this place.  So I wanted to share with you where I am picking up on My Journey to 1000 Gifts.  We have A LOT much to be thankful for in this hospital and season even though it's hard.

More updates to come...probably Tuesday morning.

My Journey to 1000 Gifts
499. Dr. B and Dr. L and Dr. S and their knowledge and help about Crohn's
500. When Ryan is doing well-love that!
501. When he's not doing well because it reminds me that the surgeries and hospital are needed
502. That God made a pain response in us to know when something is wrong
503. For those crazy high calorie drinks called Ensure that are fattening Ryan up
504. Family: such sweet, supportive family in every way imaginable
505. For friends-their countless phone calls, visits, e-mails and love from all over
506. Facebook to keep people up to date on Ryan.  Love technology!
507. Ed and Joyce Anderson.
508. That someone invented IV's and how incredibly they work to get what Ryan needs 
509. Room service at the hospital so I don't have to cook :)
510. The coffee machine down the hall
511. For surgeries-glorious, crazy surgeries that will help his poor body
512. Watching the Olympics
513. Mountain views from our hospital window
514. The Explicit Gospel by Matt Chandler that we'll start reading
515. Sneaking out into the sun for a walk while Ryan naps
516. Hospital chocolate cake...it is seriously so good
517. Rest
518. Processing life change with a chronic illness
519. Remicade (his new drug therapy)
520. Watching thunderstorms roll in over the mountains from my chair next to Ryan's bed
521. Having time to write and blog
522. Health
523. That the Lord does not harm us but certainly gives us strength for the difficult seasons

I will remember the deeds of the Lord;
    yes, I will remember your wonders of old.
 I will ponder all your work,
    and meditate on your mighty deeds.
 Your way, O God, is holy.
     What god is great like our God?
 You are the God who works wonders;

Psalm 77:11-14

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the victory report (gaining 1 lbs :)) Yes indeed hospitals are a huge blessing! You don't really know how amazing they can be till you actually need to use them! I am so happy you guys are getting the help you need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carly,
    I just spent the morning with Anna and she filled me in. I haven't checked your blog in so long so I had no idea! I am so sorry to hear about Ryan's condition. I am so shocked and frustrated for you guys.

    You have a wonderful support system so I know you guys will get through this just fine. I am thinking about Ryan and you today and am confident the surgery will go very smoothly!

    Big hugs,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...