Monday, June 4, 2012

Which Do You Want More?

If you had to answer this question, right now, how would you respond...

 Do you want God more than you want ___________ ?

Maybe the blank is healing, restored relationship, money, relief, a person, marriage, an answer, change, a boyfriend or girlfriend, weight loss, nicer car, a family, an answered prayer, sport's team victories, or any other fill in the blank you can imagine.  What's your "blank"-what competes with God in your life?

Something we have been challenged with lately is answering that very question.  Do we sincerely want God more than we want Ryan to be healed?  Check out how John Piper puts it:


“Christ did not die to forgive sinners who go on treasuring anything above seeing and savoring God. And people who would be happy in heaven if Christ were not there, will not be there. The gospel is not a way to get people to heaven; it is a way to get people to God. It's a way of overcoming every obstacle to everlasting joy in God. If we don't want God above all things, we have not been converted by the gospel.” 

-John Piper, God is the Gospel: Meditations on God's Love as the Gift of Himself

Preach it Piper! I love his teachings but that is another post.

Right now we are in a season of learning how to want God above wanting healing, above wanting a normal life again, above relinquishing our rights and time, above anything else.  It's good and healthy that we want Ryan healthy again but our "wants" need to be in the right order.  That is not an easy lesson to learn but apparently it was one that we needed right now.

Do I want God more than I want a healthy husband?

I want to answer yes.

Do I want God more than I want "my life" back?

I want to answer yes.

Do I want God more than anything else in the world?

I hope, yes.
... I have heard your prayer; I have seen your tears. Behold, I will heal you.

2 Kings 20:5

I'm so glad you're here!  I hope you're encouraged by what you read and spurred on to pursue the heart of God.  To make sure you don't miss anything join us over on the sidebar or add our button to your page.  Be blessed!

4 comments:

  1. Love your honesty and transparency Carly- this is such a good lesson for all of us to learn. Such a good heart check, one I need too!!

    Blessings friend.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun to learn right alongside with you Nicole :)

      Delete
  2. Sometimes all we can say is, Lord I believe, help my unbelief.
    Lord I love you first, help my lack of love...

    this is exactly what I struggled with when my daughter was sick. Your will be done Lord, I trust You, but also, SHE'S MINE! HEAL HER ALREADY!
    Never for one moment was I capable of forcing those feelings entirely from my heart. Our love is imperfect.. but the amazing and wonderful thing is- He sees ALL of this struggle, and He loves us, even as we are right in it. even in our weakness.

    i want to answer yes. I almost can answer yes.
    And for His children, covered by the blood of Christ, and counted as righteous because of HIS righteousness- it is enough. We are covered. We are loved.

    Prayers for you tonight, dear (new!) friend! My heart goes out to you!
    Emily
    www.weakandloved.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that first prayer..."help my lack of love." Amen. I read the story of your daughter being sick and the super hard year that was for you and your entire family. Wow-I can't imagine. Your faith and journey is so encouraging to me. It is so hard to come open handed to God with those we love and hard seasons but He wants it all and He is the only one who can handle it!!

      So grateful for you Emily!!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...