Monday, June 18, 2012

Small(ish) Stewardship

I've been working my way through 1 Chronicles lately.  Check it!  If I can, I recommend re-visiting the Old Testament if it's been awhile.  It's full of God's promises and renewed mercies, epic battles for justice, broken people after God's heart and my favorite; brave, bold, norm-defying women serving God.  Woohoo!
So anyway, back to 1 Chronicles.  I reached Chapter 9 and it caused me to think about a very relevant topic to our lives...

I use the ESV translation and in 1 Chronicles 9:31 the word "entrusted" is used.  Then I checked out the same verse but in the King James Version which uses the translation, "had the set office".  Have you ever "had the set office" over something?  Have you been entrusted with anything in your life?  A family? Children?  Money?  A job?  A skill? 


Maybe even something small enough that is sneaks by you daily?

The word for "had the set office" or more easily understood for me as, "entrusted", is translated from the original Hebrew word: emuwnah.  It looks likes this in Hebrew: אֱמוּנָה

(Isn't that writing gorgeous?!  Shout out to my sister who lived in Israel-she knows what I'm talkin about!  I love Hebrew and Greek.  I would not mind learning both some day.)


Anyway the Hebrew word emuwnah means:

 firmness, fidelity, steadfastness, steadiness

The men in 1 Chronicles 9 were entrusted with various, unique tasks over the house of God.  They carried them out with firmness and steadfastness despite the duties appearing menial or small.  In 1 Chronicles 9:24-31 you find out that they did things like: kept security watch of the house, opened the gate every morning, prepared utensils for the service, prepped the oil/wine, took care of furniture, and even cooked up some flat cakes.


But you know, these modest daily tasks were a big deal to God.  If no one would have taken on these small duties, the House of the Lord wouldn't have run smoothly or maybe even at all.  He didn't entrust these men without purpose or just to keep them busy.  Our God is much more strategic than that.


I'm challenged to think to my own life and small tasks that don't mean a heck of a lot of me sometimes but serve the Lord and serve others even when it doesn't feel like a big production.  There area lot of dailies that happen and it really can be credited to Kingdom work.  What are your "smaller tasks" you've been entrusted with to serve God big time?


I'm spurred on by those verses in 1 Chronicles 9 to keep serving in the BIG ways and the small ways.  Both are valuable and with purpose.  Don't be afraid to ask the Lord for clarity about a certain chore or task and what value it holds if you're uncertain.  Serve on!
Homeless by Sarah McLachlan on Grooveshark
Oh and just a beautiful song to share :)


So that all the craftsmen who were doing every sort of task on the sanctuary came, each from the task that he was doing,


Exodus 36:4



I'm so glad you're here!  I hope you're encouraged by what you read and spurred on to pursue the heart of God.  To make sure you don't miss anything join us over on the sidebar or add our button to your page.  Be blessed!

12 comments:

  1. Thank you Carly...this is just the encouragement I've been needing. I've been struggling with feeling like being home most of the time just makes me lazy...but really, the work I do around our home IS glorifying to God, if I do it with the right attitude. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I agree with you 100% Jaimie. It's important and valuable to those who benefit from your work and to God who has appointed you over those jobs.

      Delete
  2. I love that thought - God doesn't give us busy work. I've experienced busy work at a job and school during my life, and it's nice to know EVERYTHING we do, when done for the Lord or asked of us by the Lord, is for a purpose. :) Blessings friend!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Nicole!!! Love purpose in our everyday activities too :)

      Delete
  3. We need to be faithful in the small and He will be faithful in the large. :) Great post! Hopping from Raising Mighty Arrows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. I love this post - it is so true. Hope you have a great weekend! A Little R & R http://jukiczr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so refreshing to know that God has a purpose for all things. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing! This is such a great reminder that even the little tasks matter to God (good to remember in days filled with diapers and juice cups).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The BEST reminder amidst those diapers and juice cups. Believe what is true and right about that VERY important role :)

      Delete
  7. Just what Jesus has been working on me with concerning being there for my husband and this being His work for me. I worry so much about not having a "regular" career. Jesus is showing me that this is a sacred calling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate you sharing Bonnie. His work for us will far succeed anything the world offers. The "small" tasks can be so important. I am inspired by your heart to serve your husband, home, and family.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...