Thursday, June 21, 2012

Book Review: The Searchers

Doubt.  Conspiracy.  Poisonous Religion.  Secrets.  Faith.

Not your typical Christian book!  The Searchers by Joseph Loconte dissects the account of the two men on the road to Emmaus found in the gospel of Luke.  These  men were devout followers of Jesus; however witnessing the Crucifixion produced a shaking of their faith so violent that they were led to crippling doubt in every way and ultimately feeling utterly abandoned.

I had particularly hoped for a more in depth look at the biblical account in Luke of these two roadside travelers.  More context, more in depth look at their faith and walks.  Instead various clips into movies and books whipped me through understanding their experience in relevant ways I was not expecting.

Despite my missed expectations, I enjoyed the easily relateable examples that Loconte guides us through.  This book's content was unexpected but it was helpful to weave together a framework of what these men must have been experiencing in mind and heart towards God and their faith.  I am much more aware of the phenomenon of doubt, choice, and faith than ever before.

Ultimately we're prompted by Loconte to make a choice.  A choice about Jesus.  Christ's life and claims demand consideration from every single person.  Like the men in Luke traveling home because they knew nothing else to do, they had to decide who Jesus was, what to believe, and Who to follow-in a flurry of doubt, political unrest, and at a crucially unique time in history; when God put on flesh.

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary, that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

Rene Descartes


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://BookSneeze®.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

4 comments:

  1. sounds like a good one! thanks for sharing! I love different kind of books that make you think and give you insight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle you should read it if you can! It was for sure different than I thought it would be but sometimes a genre outside of my normal pick is good too. Any books you recommend lately?

      Delete
  2. Yay- book review! So glad you signed up to do this, it's so fun! Sounds like a really interesting book, you've got a way with words missy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I loved reading it and then getting to write about it?! Bonus!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...