Thursday, May 31, 2012

Homemade Bread

A special treat around our house is homemade bread!  Yummy, warm, buttery bread with no other requirement than to be delicious!  Oh yes, a lot like THIS...


I followed this simple and delicious recipe from Bakingdom and it is AMAZING!!  About 10 minutes of hands-on work, with lots of time to rise the dough and you have a delicious fluffy loaf that will fit your grocery budget nicely.

But I think I want to move away from homemade bread just being "a treat".  Gluten doesn't seem to bother Ryan like we initially thought but we do want to stick to simple, uncomplicated recipes if he does eat it.  Just like this one-and it is so so SO delicious!  Literally, half the loaf is gone and I just baked it this morning.

We haven't bought bread in years because it is not cost effective or all that good for us usually.   But in our own kitchen if we use organic flour, organic agave nectar, organic milk, and organic butter along with the salt, yeast, and water this is a healthy, whole grain staple in our diet.  I've thought about adding into this recipe flax, sprinkling the top with sunflower seeds, or some other assortment of good stuff to amp up the health factor!

Besides the healthfulness of homemade bread, I'm hooked on making my own simply for the therapeutic properties!  I love stirring and kneading the dough early in the morning with a freshly brewed cup of coffee and the windows in my kitchen open.  This is a great relaxation source in the midst of a very stressful season :)

Consider making your own loaf today.  It's worth it for your health and your heart!

I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.

John 6:51

I'm so glad you're here!  I hope you're encouraged by what you read and spurred on to pursue the heart of God.  To make sure you don't miss anything join us over on the sidebar or add our button to your page.  Be blessed!

19 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy! Carly, you are amazing. Baking my own loaf of bread is something I still have yet to accomplish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy try the recipe link in this post. It is seriously SO easy. My loaf isn't as pretty as her pictures at Bakingdom but hey, for a first time bread maker I am happy with it :) It was super simple. Hope you get to try it!

      Delete
  2. This looks really good!!! What kind of bread maker do you have? I wonder if it is possible to make this in a bread pan using the oven. Do you do your grocery shopping at Trader Joe or Whole food? It is y goal to make pita bread,hamburger buns, hot dog buns and regular loaves like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kay! Ok so I don't have a bread maker but this recipe I used calls for an oven and 9 inch loaf pan anyway! So you should be set if you just have those. I loved how easy this recipe was-seriously so good.

    Where do you shop most frequently? I am a King Sooper's, occasionally Whole Foods, frequently Vitamin Cottage kind of gal. Wherever I can find the deals. I can't wait to see recipes and pics on your blog of the goodies you make. I'll be checking in-always up for trying out a new recipe blogger friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy, that looks yummy! I just mixed up a batch of oranic 100% whole wheat bun dough... rising in the oven right now! I've always loved baking, so about 1 1/2 years ago, I bought a grain mill and I've been milling my own flour ever since! It's a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey you mill your own flour?! That is so cool. Do you have recipes on your blog? Yum! You inspire me :)

      Delete
    2. Yes!!! I kept reading about the benefits of fresh flour, and I wanted to give it a try. So glad I did :) I'm not sure if I have any bread recipes on my blog. But my favorite is this:

      Whole Wheat Bread

      2 1/4 cups very warm water
      1/4 tsp ginger
      1/4 tsp vitamin C powder
      1 Tbsp gluten
      2 tsp salt
      1/4 cup melted butter or oil
      1/4 cup honey
      Freshly ground flour
      1 Tbsp yeast

      Delete
  6. Oh yum! My husband loves it when I make homemade bread. It's apparently been a long day- I got to the end of your post and said, "where's the recipe?!" LOL I'm on my way there now to check it out! I love the idea of adding some things to the bread such as sunflower seeds and other toppings. :)

    Blessings friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Nicole I totally know those days. That link should be good to take you right over to the recipe. What is your recipe for bread?

      Delete
    2. I need to toy with it. I did post it a while back here: http://www.workingkansashomemaker.com/homemade-whole-wheat-bread/...I think the type of flour I used was too grainy (but very healthy!) It makes it kind of dry and crumbly instead of springy. I'll have to maybe mix half regular flour and half of the whole grain flour :)

      Delete
    3. Ooo I will be checking this out for sure! I will be trying it soon-I'm always up for a healthy bread. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. YUM! Good work sissy. That looks absolutely delis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linny I will make you some when you come home again! It's so good toasted or just regular with butter. Yum!

      Delete
  8. I recently switched to making our bread (well, I guess it's been six months now) and I will not go back! We LOVE it, including the kids, and it is so much better for us! Now I'm on to pop tarts and cinnamon rolls and money bread and even bagels! And believe me, I have no time for this :)
    (thank you God for a machine to do the kneading!)
    This book was a huge help for me:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/81064862012330984/

    And then there's this, just for the fun of it.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=364830713581607&set=a.329767247087954.80746.322019341196078&type=3
    I made that because I just feel so happy when my bread comes out of the oven!

    Emily
    www.weakandloved.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA Emily omg I just LOVED that picture of the bread!!! Best ever! I would love to venture into other baked goodies with you-tortialls, cinammon rolls, etc. You inspire me!

      Headed over to your site now :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for linking to this recipe! I love making my own bread and I like trying different recipes. I just made two loaves, but when they're gone, this is the recipe I will definitely be trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaimie you definitely should! I was very happy with it. It really was fluffy and yummy. I have only made bread a few other times and it turned out too chewy and thick...if that makes any sense. Yuck! But this was great. Glad to hear you can make your own bread, it's so fun!

      Fun to have you here :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...