Monday, April 2, 2012

Good Soil

Let me just say a few things about the glorious garden beds:  

1. If it were not for my amazing husband I would not have a garden of any kind. My man has dug, sweat, hauled, built, traveled, purchased, and labored over more details of the garden than I have.  All I did was plant some dang seeds!  He seriously has invested SO well into this project that gets me all giddy and has truly allowed us to do it well.  Thanks hubs!

2. Garden beds and gardening require A LOT of work.  Ryan and 2 of his best friends (Marc & Matt) spent well over 6 hours working Saturday afternoon.  I jumped in here and there to mix, water, weed etc.  It is surprising how much prep work it takes to do a job well.  Which leads me to point #3...

3. Working with the guys and watching all the harder manual labor happening reminded me of these verses:

Then he told them many things in parables, saying: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4 As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9 Whoever has ears, let them hear.”

Matthew 13:3-9

For things to grow in a garden it takes HOURS of labor, a lot of sweat, dedication, patience to see fruit, and a willingness to tend to what is growing daily.

And that caused me to think about a few things.  Do I think that with a garden I can just scatter some old dirt around my yard, throw in couple seeds, and water a few times throughout the summer?  Um, no that would be disastrous. There is no way I will be rewarded with any fruit or something to show for my effort.  

So how about other areas of my life?  What kind of soil am I preparing for my marriage and walk with God-good healthy soil that we will flourish in or dry, hard soil where a relationships would ultimately shrivel.  It WILL take all of the hard work to really grow anything in both relationships.  I can't expect things to happen because I "hope it will" or take just 5 minutes to prep.  With Jesus first, and Ryan second, it will require much-most probably sacrifice to see fruit.  And I want seeds for both to fall on fertile ground, take root, and produce a hundred times what was sown!  I'm aware of the work to come and so aware of the reward waiting.

 Starting to dig trenches to put the garden beds in-this is HOURS of work people

Look at that buff husband of mine!  The mastermind of it all.  Plus he built the beds by hand. Swoon.

One HUGE load of soil that we were able to get for free!  What a blessing! 

One bed set--now just mix in the alpaca manure!  Oh yes, our hilarious neighbor with the alpacas was pretty much thrilled to give us some of her mounds of manure. 

Ryan digging and doing an terrific jobs getting things set up well 

These ENORMOUS cement blocks were all over our property and this one was right where the bed was going-the guys dug around them and then used the tow hitch on the truck to pull it out.  Dang. 

Comparing hand blisters.  Wonder who won...? 

This guy was so tired from "helping" aka chewing sticks and exploring 

That would be a level in Marc's hands.  If you have 3 engineers working on garden beds then you will see nerdy tools like this pulled out to assure proper alignment and balance :)  Love it!

One of the completed beds!  Garden bed set, soil and manure mixed.  Ready for plants!

There is still so much for me to learn about when to plant, how to plant, and all the details in between.  Feeling really encouraged though about this project and anticipating all the vegetables to come!  I am left now just thinking about where I need to "prep the soil" and labor in areas of my life...
For as the soil makes the sprout come up and a garden causes seeds to grow, so the Sovereign LORD will make righteousness and praise spring up before all nations.

Isaiah 61:11



I'm so glad you're here!  I hope you're encouraged by what you read and spurred on to pursue the heart of God.  To make sure you don't miss anything join us over on the sidebar or add our button to your page.  Be blessed!



9 comments:

  1. That's exciting about your flower beds! Wish I would do that. We've lived here in Utah (country life compared to Los Angeles) for almost seven years and I haven't done a vegetable garden...just dreamed about it. What are you planting??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should totally do a vegetable bed Kathy! Even a small one would be fun. Is is difficult to garden in Utah?

      We are growing lots of goodies: carrots, beets, tomatoes, spinach, bell peppers, onions, garlic, lettuce, lavender, lemon balm, basil, chives, oregano, various flowers and more! It is a lot of work for a first year garden and I know I have A LOT to learn still. Can't wait to see how it all turns out. Have a great day Kathy!

      see this post also: http://ryandcar.blogspot.com/2012/03/getting-our-garden-on.html

      Delete
  2. I can't get over what a dummy Harpo is. He wants you to take him on a Utahan vacation to visit me. He told me so. Can't wait to see everything new and exciting at your house in just 3 weeks from the day after tomorrow! Hopefully your garden will turn out more successfully than mine did last year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha linny isn't he SO cute?! I think WE want to come on a Utahenese vacation but Harpo isn't your most favorite guy in the whole world-remember when we jumped on you with muddy paws?! he he he

    You could have a new glorious garden this year-I support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So jealous!! Starting a garden is on my to-do list this year and I've yet to get it started! What will you be planting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Never mind I just saw your response to a previous comment :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Jessi! I loved it, I would have totally written it again for you! I would LOVE to see your garden plans and how you go about doing it. Always looking for people to bounce ideas off :)

      Delete
  5. Look forward to reading more in the future. Here is my blog: http://humblelibertystudent.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey James already had a chance to look around your blog! Fun to hear what you're learning. Thanks for joining the blog!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...