Monday, March 26, 2012

Who Me?

Just one word has been sticking out in my time with the Lord lately.  Check it homies:

There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land." 
Deuteronomy 15:11

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in." 
Matthew 25:35

"Who shall begin this battle?" He [the prophet] answered..."You."
1 Kings 20:14

Wow, did you catch that?  The Creator of the Universe, King over all, speaks so directly to YOU?

Dang I love that.  I am astounded (and totally freaked out, honestly) that we are charged with the work and labor of responsibility for many aspects of this life.  One major theme presented over and over to me, is just to get over my bad self.  The word "you" here is always in reference to serving another with a focus on Christ and a posture of self-forgetfulness.

I am so incredibly excited to do what God has laid out for me specifically.  There is no getting around personal calls in scripture either-it's everywhere in God's word exactly what we're supposed to be up to and who we're supposed to be caring for.  

This scripture points clearly to take on full force whatever responsibility that the Lord has set before you and on your heart.  The point of this life is to make much of Him-eyes off ourselves and focused to glorify God!

 If He is going to call you to it (and so specifically!), you better believe you'll be equipped to glorify Him.  So what's the calling on your heart? Who and where are YOU being equipped and called to serve?

Orphans? 
Widows?  
Poor? 
Hungry? 
Thirsty?
Lost?
Broken?
Unknown?
Needy?
Stranger?
Unloved?
Oppressed?

I love that we are called, empowered by the Holy Spirit, with God's very clear Word as a resource and tool.  Awesome!

Start the battle friend-God has clearly called YOU.

 Sweet little people in Africa (far left: sweet Mercy was abandoned and starving but now adopted! The other two gorgeous girls are orphaned but in a girl's home in in Uganda.  We were privileged to love on them in 2010 and our hearts are ever widened for orphans by James 1:27

African slums...1 Corinthians 1:28-29

Ryan's heart is for the thirst-literally for clean water and soul-deep for the gospel


Loving a new friend in Kolkatta-her Hindi background is broken and confused but Christ is hope. 


My Journey to 1000 Gifts:
269. Specific and clear callings
270. Serving a God of purpose and worth
271. Warm days in Golden
272. Second hand Merrells that were insane-o cheap
The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because He has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed.
 Luke 4:18

8 comments:

  1. You inspire me to seek God and what HE has for me to give and do for others that are lost, hurting and broken. Thanks for reminding me that I must keep my eyes off myself and on others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the Lord so good to give us individual responsibilities and tasks? So neat!! He has created us so uniquely for whatever He lays on our hearts. And it is such a refining process because SO little of it it about me. It's about HIM!

      Thanks Kathy :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank Laura! How convicting and amazing is just one little word :) and so personal too!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing these thoughts and photos, Carly. This is what it's all about. When we do something for the least, we do it to Him.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Charlotte. Jesus is SO clear about our personal responsibility to the 'least of these'. How we treat and interact with them is how we really interact with Jesus.

      Encouraged by you!

      Delete
  4. Love this post Carly Decker! You rock :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...