Thursday, March 1, 2012

Modesty is Hot

I feel increasing conviction and passion about the topic of modesty.  Especially being in my early 20's I feel a real desire to dress fashionably but not look like a dang nun!  One trip around any of your favorite stores and all you see are clothes that are tight, low, tighter, lower...DANG!  What 's a chick to do??

So I've been seeking the Lord in this, figuring out if it's worth my time to care and what His thoughts are.

...Women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire
1 Timothy 2:9

Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Proverbs 31:30

...But let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.
1 Peter 3:4

Right there in the Word of God is  instruction to be uncommonly virtuous in how we dress and care for our bodies.  Scriptures speaks directly to what true beauty really is: not showing off all the goods to anyone who wants to look but gaining a posture towards God of self-respect and godly virtue.


  I think the desire of women who love them some Jesus should be to protect what the Lord has given her.  But you can still embrace the femininity and beauty that is obviously unique to us.

But HOW?

I brainstormed a few creative suggestions for my own daily use-hopefully they serve to bless and inspire you!

Accessorize:
Put any of these fun extras with your outfit to still look classy, cute, and well put together:


Necklaces
Bracelets
Earrings
Hats
Tights
Leggings
Belts
Glasses
Headbands
Hair pins
Rings
Watches
Shoes
A bag
Scarves (see below)


Accessorizing allows you to look tasteful and attractive and there is no relying on that bod of yours for it!


Honorable Necklines:
This is the big one for me-I am choosing shirts and blouses lately that are about collarbone level.  It's really not about the level, but about the heart attitude in choosing what to put on.  


What are you hoping to accomplish with your outfit?

{A simple long sleeved t-shirt paired with a brown sweater = comfy but cute}

{Even summer weddings can be modest with dresses that hit up higher}

{Bright and cheery shirt with that higher neckline!}

Scarves:
One of the easiest places to look classy and still maintain yourself as a woman of character is to include scarves in your wardrobe.  Trips to India and Saudi Arabia specifically have instilled this fashion trend in me and are an easy way to make up for low necklines in shirts you already own or just re-create an outfit.

{A light scarf turns into a fashion statement paired with a black cocktail dress}

{All of us have on our scarves in India!}

What I'm really learning lately is that I unfortunately gain a lot of identity in how I dress or even trying to fit into the world's mold of "beauty".  I want to be a woman and wife who respects myself enough to dress in a godly way and am dignified in what I present to the world.  

So share your thoughts about modesty or how/why you choose to dress the way you do!

My Journey to 1000 Gifts
179. God's word being relevant today
180. Bible study coaching
181. Odwalla Chocolate Protein shake
182. Mornings getting sunnier sooner
183. Processing the weight of words
184. Crock Pot pulled BBQ beef brisket sandwiches
185. Time apart to draw us near
186. Ryan's job
187. Retreats in the mountains
188. $0.85 coffee on campus
189. Holy Spirit conviction
190. Seeing a sweet disciple share her faith
191. Spring
192. Long talks on the phone to catch up
193. Spring cleaning!

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Romans 12:2

Beholding Glory

I'm so glad you're here!  I hope you're encouraged by what you read and spurred on to pursue the heart of God.  To make sure you don't miss anything join us over on the sidebar or add our button to your page.  Be blessed!

22 comments:

  1. Carly you are so neat! I always love hearing what God is doing through you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Angi let me just tell you that your comments are a big chunk of why I love blogging! Dang thanks as always for the super sweet words! I love learning what the Lord will show--and it's always good stuff!

      Delete
  2. Carly this is awesome! You are so fashionable, thanks for sharing your insights. So great.... It's just not common to talk about being fashionable yet pleasing to the Lord, so bravo lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura!! It is a great topic for sure! And we can definitely look dang good as ladies but not show off all the goods!

      Delete
  3. Oh btw, the link says it doesn't exist when i click on it. then if I click "The Deckers" it works.... you might want to check it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The link has a . at the end of it. If you delete it, the link works ;) And nice to meet you! You have an adorable blog, and this was a very refreshing post. Good motivation for me to continue to look for modest clothing! One clothing item that I have grown to love are Half Tees. They make what might be an immodest neckline into a modest one, without the extra bulk of two full layers. http://halftee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey!! I tried putting a new link in but for some reason I still don't see the . Hmmmm...But I am not a tech person so I might just need to play with it some more. I appreciate your help.

      Your words are so encouraging! I have heard of the Half Tees--I think I need to look into them! Heading over to your blog now for a look around :)

      Delete
    2. Hopefully people figure out the link, because this was a great post! I did write a review for half tees a while back for another blog that I write for (my personal blog is VERY slack, lol) I'll see if I can find the direct link, but the website is http://sheheartsit.com

      Delete
  5. http://sheheartsit.com/uncategorized/she-hearts-halftee-2/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! it has been an interest of mine to find more of a style for myself. I havent felt like I've found it yet and being modest yet cute is definitely one of my desires! Thanks for sharing!

    I would love for you to link up with me! I've started a link up for women being REAL!

    http://risingwiththeson.blogspot.com/2012/03/lets-be-honest-week-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessi I am totally in!! I think it is SO counter-cultural to dress modestly. But I'm slowly finding out that it is possible to still look cute and fashionable. Excited and encouraged by your journey in this area.

      Delete
  7. This is a great post and you have a cute personality that comes through. Thanks for sharing in such a fun way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post! More young ladies need to start thinking like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenifer I think the Lord would be willing to do some work! Look good AND honor Him!! I am still a work in progress in this area but have found it to be so beneficial for my marriage, personal security, and walk with the Lord. Thanks Jenifer!

      Delete
  9. Carly, you're right- we do think alike on this subject! Wish we could chat and trade scarves over coffee! :) I actually just thought about starting to use scarves this fall when the weather turns colder again. And I just donned my first skirt today. It's the long black one I had posted in my post on Modesty and was amazed- I feel beautiful! And I am excited to be out in the world with my feminine yet modest outfit. Much more beautiful than when I wear slacks! Thanks for your post, and for linking-up! It's such a blessing to me :) - Nicole @ Working Kansas Homemaker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wahoo me too nicole!! If you're ever in CO a coffee date we will have! I'm a coffee addict-love it!

      Have you seen this video for scarf ideas? http://ryandcar.blogspot.com/2012/03/25-scarf-ideas-thankfulness.html The lady is so cute in the video and gives you tons of ideas. It's a little warm now for it but come fall and winter you'll be set :)

      Delete
  10. Hi!
    I have trouble with the terms "modest is hottest" and modesty being equated with "hot". The term "hot" is a worldly term used to describe clothing or one's appearance that is provocative and sexual in nature--very much unlike what the Bible describes as modest. To me dressing modestly should not be referred to as "hot". There is more to modesty than one's outward appearance; however, I am a firm believer in dressing modestly with an updated style. I blog about it frequently on my blog More Modern Modesty aka MoMoMod.com.

    Thanks for your post and I will definitely be blogging about what I discussed here on my blog (most likely tomorrow).

    Chandra
    http://www.momomod.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chandra--great thoughts and excited to hear your perspective tomorrow! The wording that "modesty is hot" is really a CHALLENGE to what the world considers trendy.

      While many might say low, tight, or provocative is "hot" I say modesty is what is truly beautiful and should be considered as the standard. I love lining up with and living out Biblical truths and the perspective presented here is rooted in scripture.

      I am grateful for women like you Chandra challenging the norm of what our culture considers beauty. And I hope this response clarifies that the wording is simply to challenge what the world says. Because I truly think modesty is hot! Please e-mail me with any other questions or ideas, I would love to hear from you:

      carly(dot)erin(dot)decker(at)gmail(dot)com

      Delete
  11. I love this post. Thanks for your young, perky, and creative approach to this subject. When I talk to my daughters they think I'm old-fashioned and over-protective. It helps to hear young voices chime in on the subject. Thanks for speaking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie that is so encouraging. I think modesty can be super accessible and relevant for my generation and younger. It is important and worth our time to consider.

      Appreciate your kind words :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...