Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Heart Check for Lent

The daily devotional being sent to my e-mail during Lent asked simply this today...

Did you choose to give something up for Lent? Have you kept to that commitment? Whether or not you have, what has the experience taught you?

Oh man I am feeling convicted about not following through with my lofty Lent expectations very well.  My goal was not to give up something, but add a daily practice to my life: pray for 1 person/place/issue every day for the whole day whenever the Lord brought them into my mind.

But I haven't even done that very well!

So what have I been taught from my lack of discipline in Lent?  Probably just how dang weak I am to accomplish anything on my own.  I am often so mediocre in my walk with the Lord, and so quick to give into my own desires or selfishness.

We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”
--C.S. Lewis "The Weight of Glory"

I'm not learning about a mean God who makes me feel "guilty" or who wants me to be religious in my plans for Lent.  Actually the opposite.  I am learning about a conviction in my heart that I do not believe Christ, or even the overwhelming grace of the Cross will ever satisfy.  My own dullness of heart, and coldness of spirit startles me.

C.S. Lewis' words also meet my heart this morning.  "Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires, not too strong, but too weak."

I've landed this morning that my desire for God, for answered prayer, for the things I lift up to Him is too weak.  A strong prayer, a strong heart running after Him does not frighten God but would GLORIFY Him!  But we serve a MIGHTY, powerful, God and He is pleased with hearts yearning to serve Him.

So not in my own effort, but by the Spirit, I look forward to the remaining days of Lent to grow strong, convicted, and vibrant in how I view and approach my Lord.

My Journey to 1000 Gifts
211. 70 Degree days
212. Overcast, 30 degrees just a day later
213. 1.5 long Skype dates with my husband
214. Rest-so much sweet, needed rest
215. Erasing Hell by Francis Chan and his devotion to scripture
216. Seasons
217. Abilities by the Spirit to change
218. Vistaprint to print off postcards and thank yous
219. Bible gateway's devotionals-so rich and convicting
220. Figuring out what brings life
221. Anticipating many celebrations this March
222. Osha Root for sore throats
223. The light and nature brought in my our windows
224. Feta, Dried Cherry, Pumpkin Seed salads
225. Strength in God

"What then shall we say to these things?  If God is for us, who can be against us?  He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?

Romans 8:31-32  

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks lady! I'm so grateful for that devotional this morning. I was oblivious I even needed the heart check :)

      Delete
  2. Hope we both do better for Lent! Yours is a good idea! :^) patsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Patsy! A good heart conviction moment and more realization that I can't do anything without Jesus. Lent can be such a sweet, and growing time if we let it.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...