Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St Patrick's Day!!


HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY !!

Ok how cool is this?!  Some history for you... 

Patrick (yup, the holiday we're celebrating) was born in Britain and kidnapped at age 16 by Irish raiders.  He was held as a slave for 6 years.  Can you imagine??

  During his time of slavery Patrick heard a voice.  The Lord's voice: "Get out.".  So he did!  He escaped back to his family which is so amazing!  But when he returned home he heard that voice again.  The Lord's voice: "Go back".  

After training as a Bishop he went back to Ireland as a missionary to tell his captors about the fantastic and life-changing news of the gospel.  That Jesus came down from Heaven, put on skin, and lived a perfect live; something we are incapable of doing as humans.  He went to a cross to pay the price for every time we've been less than perfect and to allow us relationship with God.  It's a free gift for even the worst of us (kidnappers included) and all it takes is a personal decision to make Jesus Lord of your life.

Um, WOW!

I am floored that this guy was SO in love with Jesus and would be obedient to go BACK to the people who stole him from his life and family, to share the Best News.  That would be the most difficult thing in the whole world-I can't even imagine.  

Only God could equip, call, and free like that.


  Check out this article for the full history of St. Patrick

St. Patrick's's day isn't just about green beer and shamrocks-at least not originally.  I'm loving the rich history of our faith and recognizing people who were courageous in their love and pursuit of Jesus-willing to obey even to the point of sharing Jesus with their slave masters!

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.

-Prayer of St. Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...