Friday, February 17, 2012

Gracious Responses

My husband is so smart.  He is a Mines grad, has earned his Master's in another country, and works as a super cool Engineer.  He is just the bomb!

However we all make some silly mistakes and a few days ago, during a fight no less, he backed his beloved red 4Runner into our CLOSED garage door!!  (insert a little laughter...just a little)

Now this is not a post to rag on him at all but actually a post to us wives (or all spouses) about how we respond with grace in our marriages.  I know I need me some grace every single dang day!

So here is what the Lord has showed me in the last few days about graceful responses, specifically to busted garage doors.  And I do not claim to be the most gracious person so this is definitely Jesus!!

 Take a deep breath before responding.  
If I'm honest my flesh (the sinful-needs Jesus-part of me) wanted to show up and give him an earful about costing us money but that is selfish and such an unloving response.  A deep breath brought me back to reality and allowed moment to let the Holy Spirit stay in control.

Asking God for a gracious and loving response.  
The Lord responds to us everyday with an overflow of love and acceptance even we we mess up the worst!  In that moment I know I need to stop and ask for God's ability and wisdom in responding

Laugh about it!  
Although we were mad at each other when it first happened, after reconciling we now laugh about what dummies we can be.  This is not even close to the end of the world and we need to put the incident in right perspective.

 Love and support the decisions to action.  
Ryan is so responsible and such a legit leader.  He immediately drew up a financial plan to replace the door as well as exploring options to fix it himself.  I learned that the best thing I can do is offer to do research, cut expenses in other areas, or just support the action steps to correct the mistake.  Mocking, criticizing, or belittling is the last thing my husband needs in the face of a failure or EVER.  Love, love, more love and then lots of support.

Anyway, this time it was just a garage door but the next big mistake myself or Ryan makes, I feel like the Lord has given us a glimpse into His character and heart for grace in marriage.

Happy Friday everyone--hope your weekend is fantastic!

But there is a great difference between Adam’s sin and God’s gracious gift. For the sin of this one man, Adam, brought death to many. But even greater is God’s wonderful grace and his gift of forgiveness to many through this other man, Jesus Christ.


Romans 5:15

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...