Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Galene

Hallelujah, the blessing of 2 weeks off is upon me! I hope that the next days are ones of galene, a new favorite Greek word.

galene [galh/nh]: calmness, stillness of the sea, a calm

{How tranquil and gorgeous is this picture of Golden? Talented photo source: www.terrisphotos.com}

I am learning to value and quite frankly obsess over the beautiful Greek language. It's incredibly rich and the definitions are so dang cool. Check out this resource for your own studying-I promise it is so worth it!

Life has been a whirlwind the last month-each experience is so wonderful and fulfilling but an exhaustive combination. I'm anticipating some "galene". This verse defies my take on any stress inducers:

And he [Jesus] awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, “Peace! Be still!” And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
Mark 4:39

I'm so encouraged that by only 3 words, Jesus calmed the entire situation and all circumstances bowed down to his authority! Such a sweet reminder for me.

Only 48 short hours away, we welcome our dear friend Katie in from her break from Saudi Arabia! We plan to drink ourselves silly with coffee as always, visit the (FREE!) Celestial Seasonings Factory, challenge Matt and Ryan to a victory round of Spades, and finally be outside in this amazing Colorado air!

We also get to steal Rilyn Grace for a sleepover later this week. Calm will not categorize that time (ha!) but it gives us so much life to be around that almost-one-year-old!

In reality, we welcome this time of refreshment no matter how it measures up to our expectations.

Random note: Harpo just visited the vet to determine the source of a back leg injury :( He landed hard on it after a jump last week. He's on strict rest and anti-inflammatory meds. He has been spoiled rotten and even suckered us into allowing him on the couch for his nightly icing sessions. What is becoming of the Decker household?!?! Updates to come...

But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.
Psalm 131:2

My Journey to 1000 Gifts
11. Almonds
12. "The Language of Love & Respect" by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs
13. New friendships
14. Leaning into uncomfortable situations
15. Purple socks
16. Protection and companionship of Harpo

2 comments:

  1. Oh poor Harpo!! I so can't believe he has suckered you into letting him on the couches...lol I always knew Ryan was a softie (he is a Decker boy), but you...nope didn't think for a second you were one. It's amazing how those cute puppy dog eyes can change you :) Glad you are enjoying some calmness before your sleepover with Rilyn the Rager!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...