Thursday, November 3, 2011

Marriage...Is Not About Me

I'm linking up with BeholdingGlory.com for the "It's Not About Me November Challenge"!!

One thing I have learned in marriage, though I often resist like a crazy person, is that marriage is NOT about me. Huh...are you sure?

That feels uncomfortable to say since I know I often walk out marriage like it really is about me. But the truth is the Lord has a lot to say about marriage and how it is truly all about Him.

  • Marriage is for the sole purpose of bringing glory to God, whatever we're up to it's meant to behold and show off the Lord! (1 Corinthians 10:31)

  • Our marriage should rightfully be all about Him because we NEED the Lord to live out the kind of love he digs. 1 Corinthians 13 talks about a patient, kind, never jealous, humble, selfless, slowly-angered love that could only come from such a source, the Lord! When there is love like that in our marriage, I know it's not because it came from me, but from the giver of such a remarkable thing. It's all about HIM!

  • Marriage is meant to be a real (and not so easy) practice for us to lay down our "rights" and live more sacrificially for each other; the way Christ did for his Bride, the church. Marriage gets my eyes off myself and onto the unique character of God through this union. Not only that but then our hearts are fixed on getting to follow Jesus as our source (Ephesians 5:22-23)

This isn't a long post, although it could be, but this November challenge has kicked off with a reminder about how even marriage is not about me. It's about a reliance on God the giver of life. It's about God's character and heart as he develops us in this union. It's about our eyes fixed on the sacrifice that Jesus offered on the cross and our model of that in this marriage.

If it really is all about Him, then we should be decreasing big time and He should be increasing to the max!! (John 3:30).


Here is my sweet husband on our wedding day washing my feet to demonstrate that his heart is to serve in our marriage. What a neat way to get our eyes off ourselves and onto Jesus and His heart to serve.

If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.
-Jesus
(John 13:14)


Beholding Glory

3 comments:

  1. I love that picture!!
    WHat a picture of Jesus. Wow.

    It's so hard to let go of our "rights"... I think thats why more and more people don't like marriage and arnt willing to committ. Did I ever tell you that at my friends bachelorette party we went around the restaurant with napkins for people to jot down theier "advice" on marriage (it was basically just to embarrass our friend) but the majority of the napkins said things like, "Dont do it" or get out while you still can"

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my... my computer givng me trouble... so, as I was saying...

    but of course that would be peoples perspective if they/we thought it was all about us.

    thanks for sharing this and for linking up friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what sad advice. Helpful advice would probably be, "Remember it's not about you and keep your eyes locked on Jesus". I can have such a convoluted way of viewing everything sometimes and this blog post helped remind me what God wants from my marriage.

    Love this challenge Laura!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...