Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Autumn Update




(Picture: 2010 China Autumn!)

Well people, we have a house! A real house, with a real closing date with real loans being closed on.

This. is. HUGE.

We've been at the house hunt for over 19 weeks and not because of a shortage of houses but because of crazy loans and jumping through hoops. But a hooping we shall jump if it means we can be done with transition!

We close Sept 23 at 2:30 pm and after flooring installation we should be moved in by mid-October. Dang the Lord is so good to us. This has been a season of testing (beyond just house stuff), dying to ourselves, and depending fully on the Lord

To sum up this summer/time in our lives I'll refer to someone older and wiser. I heard a talk yesterday from John Lamb and he said two profound things. He asked of us,

"What will sustain a heart for God?"

Here is what WON'T:

1. Enthusiasm-a good attitude or excitement about Christ, people, life, work, ministry etc will not sustain you
2. Knowledge will not sustain you. In the Western Christian world we have gained more knowledge than ever but impact our culture significantly less.
3. Success will not sustain you. Success financially, relationally, in work, or ministry will not sustain your heart for God.
4. Lastly, giftedness will not sustain you. You and I are good at a lot of things but skills and talents will not sustain a heart for God.

So, that begs the question...What WILL? John Lamb says this:

1. A conviction that God is good
2. Friends/family that love me, but aren't impressed with me and help encourage my walk

Dang that is a sweet truth that I needed. I couldn't articulate a few weeks ago how some things I was relying on weren't "sustainable" but now I can see how true that was. I depend on the Lord alone but those two things will certainly just spur me on to a sustained heart for God. Sufferings and hardship, disappointments and challenges are absolutely certain. But if I believe God is good and I have people to encourage my walk then I am in a better position to sustaining a heart for the Lord.

Amen and Amen John Lamb.

Sooo....that was a lengthy rambling about something that hits home for us. We were (and sort of still are) in a tired, not-got-it-together season but looking forward to the next with anticipation and eagerness.

Create in me a clean heart, O God.Renew a loyal spirit within me.
Psalm 51:10

Other random stuff...

Ryan and I both got sunburned at the very belated Father's Day Rockies game celebration. So fun to see family and squish cutie Rilyn :)

Ministry at Mines is a new and stretching challenge that we LOVE. The students are fantastic and we look forward to hosting events at our NEW home soon!

Ryan (sort of) tried out for the worship team at our church! The worship pastor doesn't do try-outs but jam sessions and really believes in having several leaders which is so legit! Ryan really enjoys music and it is super life giving to him so this is a great outlet for leadership and serving at church. Maybe if he plays soon you can come enjoy!

Oh and I DIG fall! I am crazy about it. Cool weather, crisp leaves, pumpkin spice lattes, and baking. Anyone want to bake this recipe with me? Pumpkin Nutella Swirl Bread. Oh have mercy.

I think that is all for now! We have a packed week of house clean up, painting, time with people, and autumn goodness.

Rejoice, you people of Jerusalem! Rejoice in the Lord your God! For the rain he sends demonstrates his faithfulness. Once more the autumn rains will come, as well as the rains of spring.

Joel 2:23












Awesome picture source
[Thanks to Tyler Decker for the random and assorted format inspiration of a post such as this...]

2 comments:

  1. Oh Carly Decker I badly needed that truth! Thank you so much for sharing it! :)

    And a big YAY for a real life closing date on a real life house! How fun for you and Ryan! Can't wait to see pictures of your lovely house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will post some very soon. The before and after pics will be insane. There is real orange shag carpet in there right now and fruit wall paper, yuck!

    Also I'm going to be making the pumpkin spice lattes soon, I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...