Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What Do We Deserve?

We Deckers really dig free stuff. Or cheap stuff. But mostly just free. At this fancy schmancy hotel we are staying at they offer you the "opportunity" to attend a 90 minute presentation on becoming a time share owner and member of their exclusive travel club. If you attend the presentation you get a free $100 prepaid gift card. Um, yes please! So on we went.

On this little presentation a very excited representative sits you down and explains to you exactly how you can travel all over the world with their company for a fraction of the cost of making traditional travel plans. That's all well and good but there was one question that our presenter asked of us that just seemed to strike us as strange:

"Don't you two deserve a nice vacation every year?"

What I wanted to say?

"I deserve HELL lady!"

What did I actually say?

"Uh...we don't deserve a nice vacation but we certainly enjoy it when schedules, finances and time allows!"

That answer didn't sit pretty with her and she talked around and around for TWO HOURS about how Ryan and I supposedly deserved to travel in 5 star hotels, enjoying private butlers, huge suites, and only the best quality of everything their company offered.

For the record, we really dig beauty and enjoying our surroundings or an experience. There is nothing wrong in our opinion in enjoyment or time off that because all good gifts come from the Lord. But there is a problem for me when I think I actually did something to DESERVE anything.

What I really deserve is hell. The wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23). I am a sinner by nature and thereby inherited guilt. That guilt forces me to stand impure before a perfect God and I need a perfect Savior to stand in my place to earn me heaven and righteousness. If I got what I deserved it sure as heck wouldn't be a 5 Star Hotel...more like an eternity of brim stone and fire.

Anyway, our representative was entirely flustered by us but it's our hope that we provoked some new thoughts in her that weren't there before.

Final thoughts:

God is the creator of all things beautiful and we are meant to enjoy His gifts and goodness! But thinking I deserve anything is a filthy lie regarding my nature because what I earn on my own is death. I don't even deserve Jesus but by a choice and grace I get the greatest gift that I could never earn or deserve.

But God demonstrates his own for for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8

1 comment:

  1. I love your firey passion for Jesus lady!!! I would have loved to be in the room with you yelling "I deserve Hell!"... Maybe next time? ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...