Monday, June 6, 2011

Influence

Ryan Decker and I were talking Sunday morning, sharing what we had been learning/processing lately and we got on the topic of influence. Now my husband is always full of good stuff but today I felt he was especially wise!

We were talking about how people become who they are and the choices they make influencing their lives. The epitome of my husband's glorious thoughts came when he asked me,

"Who do you want to be wife?"

Sha-bam hubs that is a GOOD question! It pours into these other questions below and however we answer them will shape and form our values, lives, lifestyles, thinking, and choices.

So...

Who do you want to be?

Who do you want to influence?

How do you want to influence?

Who or what is influencing you?!

How do you want to be remembered?

It was such a challenging series of questions for me to think through AND answer. Sometimes a honest answer to things like "who" or "what" is molding you can be an ugly answer if it's self-focused.

Is your influence a song, a show, an idol, a sport, a person, a truth, a philosophy, a grudge, a person, a goal, a lie, a group, a book or something else? Whatever we allow to influence us will result in a lifestyle and personality molding. I pray my influence (though I often fail) is ultimately Jesus.

So set yourselves apart to be holy, for I am the Lord your God.

Leviticus 20:7


This is how the Lord responds: “If you return to me, I will restore you so you can continue to serve me. If you speak good words rather than worthless ones, you will be my spokesman.You must influence them;do not let them influence you!

Joshua 15:19






1 comment:

  1. Good good thoughts Carly! Very challenging. You are a wise woman of God!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...