Thursday, May 19, 2011

Roles vs. Purposes

When the same lesson keeps popping up from different sources I want to perk up my ears and pay attention to what is being taught. God is moving and I don't want to miss it!

 The concept of our roles verses our purpose cropped up in two places. Through my very favorite blog by Laura Krokos (my amazing college discipler and whose words/ideas were put right into this post) and in Beth Moore's Bible Study Jesus, the One and Only. Both so legit and such solid teachers. So here's what I'm learning: Role and Purpose are two very different but important concepts. How we view them changes how we view the course of our life and what calling we lean into. As I gain a more bibical view of each it totally reshapes how I want to view my life when I'm 80!!

Role or Task: is our uniqueness, spiritual gifts, strengths, or passions that help us identify how we might use our time and talents
{Role as a Sister and a Wife. The difference of being licked vs. kissed}


{My new favorite role as Aunt/Giver of Mohawks}

For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.

Ephesians 2:8

Purpose or Calling: is what we were created for and the reason for our existence. According to God we were created to glorify Him and show off His character to the world. Basically reflect who He is.

Everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made

Isaiah 43:7

Mission: is the Great Commission. Going and making disciples through evangelism and discipleship by sharing God's purchase of us with Christ's blood on the cross. Dang we have a high and amazing mission! It fits the purpose for which we were designed.

So what I'm learning is to clarify and keep a right view of my role versus my purpose in light of my mission. My roles for example include Campus Crusade staffer, wife, daughter, sister, volunteer, aunt, piano player, health enthusiast, yogi...on and on but those are NOT my purpose and what I was truly created for. You and I were created for one purpose which is to behold God and make Him known. And He was just so creative to let us do that sometimes by what we love and are good at. Using our unique roles to live out our purpose by way of God's mission.
Laura asks in her post about this:

How can you use your uniqueness to carry out the mission Jesus gave you of making multiplying disciples through the process of evangelism and discipleship?



Last but not least I'll just give a shout out to Laura's Bible Study titled Beholding Him, Becoming Missional: Awakening to the Mission Through the Study of Samuel 1. This study is SO good. Grab yourself a copy if you need something to wake you up and set your heart on fire!

I'm so glad you're here!  I hope you're encouraged by what you read and spurred on to pursue the heart of God.  To make sure you don't miss anything join us over on the sidebar or add our button to your page.  Be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...