Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Humble Coconut Macaroons

Do you need a slice of humble pie? I think I have plenty to go around. However mine is more along the lines of "humble macaroons".


These little buggers were nearly the end me.  EVERY time I have made them I have failed at least once (and it's not the recipe's fault).  And it's an ugly fail: tears, banging a cabinet door to two... 

Inevitably if I am feeling a little too proud of myself or I am needing a good dose of reality about what I can accomplish on my own...I will whip out this macaroon recipe.  Sweet humility.

It never fails to brings back to reality. That I am not capable on my own. That I fail constantly without the Lord, and I need him even to make these blasted cookies.

Is that over-spiritualizing a dessert?

The recipe is fabulous where these delicious little drops of goodness are made right.   But I'll warn you, if you're feeling prideful don't attempt these cookies-you WILL be humbled.

Round 1 = wasted ingredients and an unnecessary fight with sweet Ryan Decker. How dumb! 
Round 2 = a damp bowl so soggy egg whites. *sigh
Round 3 (pictured) = overcooked and too brown.  Boo!

They are still delicious when made right so don't be too scared :)

Coconut Macaroons


Ingredients:
2 large egg white
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup flaked coconut

Directions:
Beat the egg whites and vanilla until soft peaks form.  Add sugar 1 tbsp at a time until soft peaks form again. Fold in coconut. Drop with spoon onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 325 F for 20 minutes or until edges are slightly golden.


All that to say for these macaroons, they remind me why I need the Lord. Because can do nothing on my own and His ability is perfectly enough.  


Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us...
Ephesians 3:20

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...