Thursday, January 27, 2011

Precious mineral-herbal-fresh-spring-mountain rush bottled water!


Don't you just love how bottled water companies hook you in? I mean, I want deliciously refreshing pure water that will make me cry out in sweet ecstasy (try not to picture me pouring water all over my body!). Who doesn't?

It's turns out I am pretty passionate about water. I studied it in college and grad school and I need to tell you... bottled water in the US just doesn't make sense in most situations.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there is some incredible scandal going on behind closed doors, but I am asking you to consider a few of these next points.

1. Bottled water is no "purer" than US tap water

In fact, there are higher standards for US tap water than bottled water. The FDA regulates bottled water as a food product, whereas the EPA has developed strict health and aesthetic standards that deal with the quality, production, and distribution of tap water. Believe me when I say that "pure water" hardly exists. I will choose EPA regulated water any day.

2. In debt to bottled water?

I am an engineer. I think numbers can tell you a lot. A 20 ounce bottle of Dasani or Aquafina sells for about $1 in most vending machines. That's about 5 cents / ounce. Gas sells for about $3 / gallon in Colorado right now. That works out to about 2 cents / ounce. Boom roasted! Except that I am not joking. From another side, the $1-2 you spend on a liter of bottled water will get you about 3700 liters of tap water.

3. Does bottled water really taste better?
Consider 'that guy...'
a)'that guy' shows up at a restaurant and orders bottled water
b) waiter fills up empty bottle with tap water
c)'that guy' precedes to tell his friends how much more delicious bottled water is over tap water

Case and point!

4. Trash

Bottled water produced TONS of waste. Over 1.5 million tons of plastic every year ends up in some type of landfill! These bottles could easily be recycled, yet they don't. Chap our lives.



I am no hippie, but if we have developed water treatment infrastructure, why are we not using it? Especially when some people around the world don't have the privilege of having quality tap water and are forced to either buy expensive bottled/trucked water or drink the nasty stuff.

As for me and my household, we will choose to drink tap water. And serve the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...