Monday, January 31, 2011
Favorite Vegan Chili Recipe
Is this not the perfect weather for chili? And why not be healthy while you are at it. I snagged this recipe from vegetariantimes.com and we LOVED it. It is completely vegan, but don't let that stop you from at least trying this recipe or even switching a few things to make it your own. We would be having this tonight with some hot cornbread if we weren't going to the Melting Pot instead :)
Ultimate Vegan Chili Recipe
* 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
* 2 Tbs. olive oil
* 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
* 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, drained and minced
* 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
* 2 8-oz. pkgs. seitan, chopped (3 cups)
* 3 Tbs. tomato paste
* 2 tsp. paprika
* 2 tsp. dried oregano
* 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
* 3/4 tsp. celery salt
* 3 15-oz. cans chili beans, such as Bush’s Best Chili Beans, partially drained, or 1 can each black beans, kidney beans, and pinto beans, partially drained
* 1 cup chopped carrots (2 to 3 large carrots)
* 2 Tbs. low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
* 1 Tbs. vegan Worcestershire sauce
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 7 to 10 minutes, or until beginning to brown, stirring often. Add garlic and chipotle chile, and sauté 1 minute more. Stir in mushrooms; cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until softened. Add seitan, tomato paste, paprika, oregano, chili powder, celery salt, and 1 cup water; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add beans, carrots, tamari, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 1 hour, or until carrots are tender.
Note: Be sure to drain the chile in adobo sauce-we forgot and it kicked the spiciness through the roof! Still delicious though.