Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Am I A Hippy?




Confession time: I LOVE all things natural and organic. Food. Natural Family Planning. Chocolate. Make-up. Herbs. Toiletries. And especially, cleaning products. But not the expensive ones that you might think of. And not some diluted crap shoot ones that don't actually work. No, no. I am serious about my cleaning supplies.


You see, much to my husband's bewilderment, I really like cleaning. I do it to de-stress, when I have nothing else to do or just for fun. Really! I LOVE having clean floors and spotless counters. Most importantly I loathe that fake, "lemon-mountain-bleach-breeze" smell that cleaning products offer that truly smell nothing like the lemons, mountains or breezes I have ever known.


So here is what this post is really about. Sharing the recipes for cleaning products that have changed some important health factors in our lives. I get frequent and unbearable migraines that put me out of commission for 1-2 days normally. I have tried EVERYTHING, but I had not even dreamed that maybe it was my cleaning supplies that were aggravating my migraines. Though I still get the occasional migraine switching to natural/home-made products has significantly decreased the severity and frequency of them. So let me share with you the cheap, very effective and amazing recipes I use:

Natural all-purpose cleaner- Mix 1 part vinegar and 3 parts hot water together in a spray bottle as needed. Scent the mixture with essential oil like Tea Tree Oil which acts as a natural disinfectant. You can also dissolve 4 tablespoons of baking soda in 1 quart of warm water for a good general cleaner.


-Club soda-Apply to carpet stains and scrub. So easy!


-Toilet Cleaner-Sprinkle baking soda and lemon juice in toilet, let sit and then scrub.


-Window/Glass cleaner-Mix 1/2 cup vinegar with 1 gallon water–spray and wipe off with newspaper to avoid streaks.


-Shower Cleaner-Mix baking soda and water until it is the texture of frosting. Rub on with the rough side of a sponge, let sit and scrub off.


These are cheap and so easy to make. I can pronounce every single ingredient that I am using and have seen very clear results. I won't rant about what mainstream cleaners do to you and your health; there are books for that and I have read them. They scared me enough that I started thinking more deeply about the root causes of certain health issues that I have. Although cleaning products did not cause my migraines, making a switch helped the problem. I love natural cleaning supplies and I especially love knowing that my house is filled with the smell of REAL lemons after a grand day of cleaning!




2 comments:

  1. Carly dear I am so excited you are moving back to Colorado because really you and I are way to alike :) Tyler was just making fun of me for wanting some books on homemade cleaning products for Christmas and I want to start making my own soap. He thinks I have gone to hippy, but the good news is he always jumps on board! Let's plan a homemade party of some sorts soon so we can be hippy together! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Anna!!! I am SO glad to hear this!! We can make homemade soap and beeswax candles and cleaning products all day long. Let's read a book together about homemade cleaning products/regular cleaning products. Love you and can't wait to see you soon you little baby mama!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...