Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Peach, Plum, Apricot Crisp + Community
Here is one thing Saudi Arabia is really good for: developing sweet community! We have been beyond blessed to be surrounded by people here who have developed into friends and essentially family. Once a week there is a guy's night at one house and a girl's night at another. Following Arab culture and tradition, this makes sense to keep the men and women separate. The girls all come to our house and the guys head over to another house. We really enjoy this time of delicious dinner, good conversation and encouragement. It is rare that we ever eat a meal without a guest here. This is the dessert I made tonight that was a HUGE hit with all the ladies! We're excited to keep developing relationships with people in our remaining 2.5 months...
Peach, Plum, Apricot Crisp
* 4 1/2 cups sliced peaches
* 2 cups sliced plums
* 2 cups sliced apricots
* 3/4 cup granulated sugar
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
* Cooking spray
* 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
* 3.4 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3/4 cup)
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 cup butter, melted
* 4 cups vanilla low-fat ice cream
1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; let stand 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400°.
3. Spoon fruit mixture into a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until bubbly.
4. Combine oats and next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a bowl. Drizzle with butter, stirring until crumbly. Sprinkle oat mixture over fruit. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until topping is lightly browned and fruit is bubbly. Serve warm with ice cream.
"By yourself you're unprotected. With a friend you can face the worst. Can you round up a third? A three-stranded rope isn't easily snapped."